Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy a rebuilt autolite 2100 carb. I have heard good things about Pony Carburetors quality, but their prices are a little steep for my budget. Has anyone had any dealings with or know about Superior Carburetors? Or, can anyone suggest another company? Thanks in advance.

·
11,000 Posts
Those carbs are really easy to rebuild, probably the simplest carb made in the 1960's. Why not try it yourself? Kits are $20 at any auto part store. You need a carb cleaner 5 gallon kit, also available at any part store for another $25.00. A couple of screwdrivers and a gasket scraper are the only tools needed. Some compressed air is needed too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The carb theat came with the car is off a '74 truck.

·
11,000 Posts
Oh, you don't even have the correct carb. Pony might be the way to go but have you checked your local Auto Zone or Pep Boys? Sometimes they have the right unit available especially the more common applications like yours.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Autozone and Advance etc. offer carbs that will work work, but are not right. I ordered one and it had a manufacturers defect, so I sent it back. The next one came in witht the same part number but was for a 1970 or later car. They just use a hodge-podge of parts. I try to avoid those places except for small things.

·
Registered
614 Posts
It seems like most rebuilt carbs that are bought from store chains are garbage. Even the small Mom & Pop auto part stores carry junk. You're probably better off getting your carb rebuilt by an independent shop in your area, if you can't do it yourself. The rebuild companies (A-1 Cardone, etc.) don't exactly take care when mass-rebuilding carburetors.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
My advice is get on E-bay and get the right carb for a cheap price and re-build it. You'll save $$ and know what you have. If $$ is no object then buy one already done....
Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts