Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner of my 67 Cougar brought my car to the Cougar Nationals East in 1996 and had it "Judged". According to the Judging Sheet, it lost 1 point out of 5 for having the wrong carburetor??? I'm trying to turn every item on my Cougar back to stock and was wondering what this meant. Is it the wrong carburetor? It has 7D S on the side of the carb. Isn't this for a standard? It's also missing the Dashpot and Thermostat Shield. My car calls for an Autolite 2100 Carburetor and I believe the correct stamp on the carb should be 7D R. As you can see is it quite old and beat and could probably use a rebuild. I have a chance to get a rebuilt carb with Dashpot & Thermostat Shield for around $250. Should I get it? Should I get a Dashpot and Thermostat Shield for the one I have. I haven't noticed any stalling which the Dashpot is supposed to prevent, but it does have a rough idle almost like it bucks sometimes. Looking for any advice on this. THANKS
IMG_0438[1].jpg IMG_0435[1].jpg IMG_0436[1].jpg

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Does your Cougar have an automatic or manual transmission? I believe that the 7D S is for C code with manual transmission, and the 7D R is for a C4 transmission.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The $250 is for the carb already rebuilt, shipping and a dashpot. Alone the carb is $200. Now my problem is to go with an "R" carb or an "F". They are both for automatics but have different venturi sizes. Any clues on which one my car came with?
<TABLE id=ecxTable2 border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=600><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width="30%" align=right>Name </TD><TD> Peter Kusaywa</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Street </TD><TD> 105 Rensselaer Ave.</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>City </TD><TD> Cohoes</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>State </TD><TD> NY</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Postal </TD><TD> 12047</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Country </TD><TD> USA</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Email </TD><TD> [email protected]</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Phone </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Comment </TD><TD> New decoding for this VIN. The Exterior is QA Glacier Blue with black (onyx) painted top. </TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Dealer Name </TD><TD> Curtiss Bros. Inc.</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Dealer Address </TD><TD> 384 Bridgeport Derby CT 06484</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Dealer # </TD><TD> 15D070</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>P&A Code </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>VIN </TD><TD> 7F91C573095</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Door Plate Data </TD><TD> 65A Q 2B 10C 15 A W</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Model Year </TD><TD> 1967</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Assembly Plant </TD><TD> Dearborn, Michigan (F)</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Body Style </TD><TD> Standard, Hardtop 2 dr (91)</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Engine Model </TD><TD> 289-2V (C)</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Sequential Number </TD><TD> 73095</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Exterior Color </TD><TD> Glacier Blue Poly (Q)</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Interior Trim </TD><TD> Lt. Blue Crinkle--All Vinyl (2B)</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Date Code </TD><TD> 10 of March (10C)</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>District Sales Office </TD><TD> New York, NY (15)</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Axle Ratio/Type </TD><TD> 3.00 Locking (A)</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Transmission Model </TD><TD> C-4 Automatic (W)</TD></TR><TR><TD width="30%" align=right>Client info </TD><TD> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:13.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/13.0.1
IP Address: 65.37.12.6</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone have an updated number for pony carburetors. All are disconnected. I sent an email but have yet to get a response.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Anyone have an updated number for pony carburetors. All are disconnected. I sent an email but have yet to get a response.
Pony Carburetors closed last year after the owner passed away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts