Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I want to repleace the carburator at a std 351 c 4V
what will be best : a Holly, ....... or a edelbrook or ... any idea?

Tommy

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I liked the Holley I have on my 351C. others like the Carter/Edelbrock. Stay in the 600 CFM size range with vacume secondarys and you will be fine with eather.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
What year 351C-4V?

The reason I ask is that the early 'M' engine code 4Vs (70-early71)had a square-bore or Holley pattern intake, while the later 'Q' code 4Vs (late 71-74) were a spreadbore design. A square-bore has all four venturis, or 'barrels' the same size, while the spreadbore has smaller primary and larger secondary venturis. This is only relavent if you still have the stock factory intake manifold. The later intake manifolds will not accept a square-bore carburetor. Aftermarket intakes will usually accept either.

Now, what is your normal intended use of this car? If it is stricly street driven, I'd suggest the Edelbrock (Carter) carbs. If you are street/strip, either one will do. If you are race-only...

Also, any modifications to the engine? (increased compression, aftermarket cam, headers...?) If you are stock, definately stay with a 600cfm vacuum secondary carb for drivability.

Milo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts