Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all of the carb choices available today, a cougar owner is left with a dazzling array of carbs to choose from. I've seen Demon, Holley, Rochester, autolite, and Edelbrock on cougars. (Yes, years ago, I saw a quadrajet on a cleveland powered cat...)
I'd like to know what you think is the best for you and your cougar. And why?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I had the stock 4 barrel on my cougar, changed it to a Carter, then swapped on a 780 Holley, and that was the cat's a$$, best carb I ever ran. Then I ran a Carter on the Fairlane, now switched it to a 750 Holley and it runs great. My choice is Holley.

Rick

·
Registered
408 Posts
Am I right in saying that edelbrock are made by weber? My edelbrock 4 barrel has weber markings on the side.

I have a 351w with a edelbrock performer manifold. Has anyone else experienced bogging down when the motor warms up? I seem to get this, but stress that the motor is not overheating.

I am also looking into the mounting of the coil as I heard that it can cause problems when mounted directly on the block.

Sorry to get off topic

Rob

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Sorry, Leon...I'm not in the $3500 intake-and-carbs-gang, but from what I've seen and read, you can't do any better than Weber.

I've always run a Holley 4150 dual-feed on my 351C-4V daily driver. The last one went over 40K miles without a rebuild. I selected it because it performs well over the entire power band.

I recently went with a Street Avenger, which is esentially a 4150 with a few "bells and whistles." I selected it because it was polished (LOL).

Holley said it had been "wet-tested," and would run from the box. It did, with only a small adjustment to the idle.

My performance and mileage increased significantly...an extra 1.5-2 MPG on the highway, so long as I stick to the 70 MPH posted speed.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I Like my Holley 670 cfm Street Avenger.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, I'd have to agree with the comment about the ebrock being butt ugly.
They aren't the snazziest in the world.
I like the look and function of Holleys myself. And now that holley is getting into the power package business big time it makes it way easy to be in the holley business.
I also like the new demons. Having the opportunity to tune motorcycle carbs frequently, the demons weren't a challenge for me to learn in terms of air bleeds and googaws.
I think the demons are probably the best looking carb out there right now. but then, the eye of the beholder and all that.
I had a 750 DP holley on a cleveland for a while (that, admittedly, had been operated on by someone who was clueless and it was beyond repair) and bought an ebrock 600 just to give it a try. I went over 150k miles on the ebrock with nary a hiccup. but this is in conflict with most other carbs so it's not quite representative. a fluke, if you will.
It seems they all have their benefits and downsides.
Currently, I run an Edelbrock. But, if someone dropped a 750 Holley or Demon in my lap, I'd take it and use it.

Gimme some more info on the e-brock with the warm up issues, uk guy.
I don't care if we get off topic. Knowledge gained and not shared is lost.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OH, and Leon - right on with the webers. I wish my sponsors would spring for webers on my cat!
Of course a cross country/ bracket car might be hard pressed to keep webers in service. I don't know. I just like the look of em.
:-D

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I always ran Holleys. This motor has an Edelbrock, but hasn't been fired up yet.
Why Edelbrock? I got tired of the Holley no hot start. The leaky Holley stains on the intake. The Holley whistle. I know it doesn't sound it but I really did like my Holleys - 650DP the best of all.
I have heard good things about the Edelbrock and the price was right, so what the heck. :D

·
Registered
614 Posts
Aw c'mon Bob, the Holley whistle makes all the difference!

I like the Holley for its parts availability. You stand a good chance of getting what you need at *shudder* Pep Boys even. They're easy to tune, but that might only be a reason 'cause I'm familiar with them.

As a little footnote, did anyone see the article in Peterson's 4 Wheel & Offroad this month about their little Toyota at Pep Boys? Oh yeah, they actually did an article about taking a vehicle to Pep Boys for a tune-up. Last month, they voted the Lexus G-whatever as 4x4 of the year, now this...Pe'we' is kinda bad as an editor. I think my subscription is about done after this...

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
more reasons

yep rocketman, I know how you feel...
The Holley I spoke of developed a leak and actually caught fire on my 70.
One of the primary reasons I stuck with the edelbrock was for the "no gaskets below fuel level" thing.
At the strip or road course, I can change metering rods lickety split without spilling gas on the intake or draining bowls. I think it's an advantage of the E-brock.
But that's just me.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I've run holleys up until recently, got a edelbrock 680 vacuum sec. on the 67-390, runs pretty good. The 70-351C has a edelbrock that runs like crap, got a holley 4160 I'm rebuilding for it. As for looks, can't see it under the air cleaner...just my opinion...

Bruce

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Buy Cheap....Buy Twice....

Holley or Edlbrock, go with a new one but not the lowest one on the totem pole.
Just my .02¢

·
Registered
448 Posts
Carbs

I'm running a Demon 625 on my windsor. It is a great carb. The response is really good at any RPM and clearly out performs both the Holley and Edelbrock that I previously had on the car.
However, Demon does not make a dual quad application carb, so it is back to Holley. I'm having Joe Bunetic prep two holley 600's for my progressive dual quad FE. (thanks for the tip Royce)
Paul Garvin
69 XR7 Convertible
Getting close to engine swap time!!

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
I have Holleys on my 68 and 70 (the original carb). They both perform OK but I don't like the way they leak fuel.

The 68 has a new 465 and it has a small leak after 12 months (I have a ceramic coated inlet so it is easy to clean).

The 735 on the 428 has been rebuilt and straight edged on all mating surfaces and it still leaks

I use Holleys down here because Edelbrocks are an unknown quantity. If the Edelbrock on the 68 hadn't been butchered by someone trying to drill out the passages I probably wouldn't have replaced it. It gave no trouble at all except for the lousy acceleration from the PO mess.

On reason I don't have English cars anymore was leaky SU carburettors - same problems with the Holleys - that's one of the reasons I'm going to injection on the 68 and selling the 428 to buy a Maserati with Webers

No matter how well they perform and how many people use them, there is no excuse for not addressing with inherent design flaws (eg different expansion rates of materials between vertical surfaces of float bowls and metering blocks that are always going to cause leaks)

·
11,000 Posts
I think this is a pretty deep subject. Certainly the current leaders in carburetor aftermarket sales are Demon and Holley. Both are essentially the same design. The Demons have benefitted from Barry Grant's years of being the best Holley tuner in the world and have a lot of great features. On the other hand quality with Demon has until recently beenl hit and miss.

The Holleys have been improving in direct response to the threat of Demon and are coming out with many of the same features. Also, Holley has re-released the tri-power and dual four carburetors for Ford applications.

Meanwhile Barry Grant has come out with a line of tri-power carbs that have all the cool features of his four barrel Demon series.

All this is great for the consumer. With all these excellent choices the hard part is choosing the right carburetor for your application. I recommend anyone in the market for a new carburetor call the tech line at GPT (Demon) and the tech line at Holley for recommendations, then price them against one another. Either represents excellent technology and performance. Holley has improved their features and Demon has reduced prices and worked hard on quality issues so it's essentially a toss up between the two.

Edelbrock is kind of the ugly girl at the dance here. They only make about four basic models. All have the fuel inlet located incorrectly for Ford applications. They also won't fit under a stock air cleaner on most 67-70 Cougars. I have used them and find they are not even in the ball game compared to the two leading players for performance.

I have used Quadra Jet carbs on GM applications and find them to be excellent for that purpose. I would not consider them for a Ford product though, there are no spread bore manifolds available.

One exception would be the '71 429 CJ which came originally equipped with a Quadra Jet, I would consider the Rochester or one of the Edelbrock Quadra Jet carbs my top pick for those applications.

There were also spreadbore Cleveland 4V carbs (Mororcraft) but the intake is a heavy cast iron part that should be ditched in favor of a good aftermarket unit. In that case Edelbrock and Weiand (Holley) still offer all their old designs from the 1970's, a good Holley or Demon would be the answer on top of the selected intake.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
carb o rator

"No matter how well they perform and how many people use them, there is no excuse for not addressing with inherent design flaws (eg different expansion rates of materials between vertical surfaces of float bowls and metering blocks that are always going to cause leaks)"

I couldn't agree more Leon. If you want to rest on your laurels, you shouldn't be making hi-po parts.

After the fire on my 70's holley, I made a homebuilt lower intake for the cleveland from a 351W EFI intake. I was dead set on injection that wouldn't be leaky or catch my car on fire. So, I can relate.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts