Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having problms with my carb it seems like for ever.
I have a motorcraft 2brl on a 289. When ever I punch it a little it bogs out. Now I have had it in the shop and had it checked out they tell me all settings are corret. Well maybe so but something is wrong. I do have a slightly heaver cam in it and heads from a 351 wins. Will this cause the problem and if so what will stop it.
I have gone as far as trading the carb for a new one 3 times the promblem is still there. I don't know the size of the cam and can't find the guy who rebuilt my motor.
Paul W 67 std

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
yeah this is off topic, but what did you hav eto do to get the 351 heads on the 289?? how much of a difference did it make? i have 2 pairs of 69 Windsor heads in my garage and when i sell them id like to be able to know what to tell people.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Bog Cat

The biggest (most common) cause of a bog off the line is not enough timing. Check to see if your vacuum advance is working properly. Both at the distributor (by sucking on the hose and watching the advance show up on a timing light) and making sure you are using the correct vacuum port on the carb to the distributor! Use a vacuum gauge to see how much vacuum you're getting at which throttle opening.

Another cause of bog is not getting enough squirt out of your accelerator pump. That is also easy to check by lookind down the carb venturi as you operate the throttle linkage.

Hope this helps you!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car has been on machine after machine everyone tells me that everything is correct (all settings) vacume lines are clear, timming set right. Points are to be set at 17. What is the vacume port?
As far as the 351 heads I have know Idea what he did, all I know is that they are on there. I know they are 351 heads because I watched him take them off the motor. Now I could be wrong as far as winsor and cleaveland.
I don't know much about motors. I can do minor work (external) Iwill have to take it in again and have them check this other stuff.
Paul W. 67 std

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Let me guess that CJ is on the right track about the acclerator pump being the problem. First off the heads have been changed and that has increased airflow and the cam is aftermarket also changing the airflow.

Your stock 2v carb was not designed for these modifications and the acc pump circuit needs modified to keep up with the increased engine demands. I dont want to get into the modifications needed to your carb because its been so long since I messed with one like yours.

Do you really want to keep the stock carb?? Now might be a good time for an upgrade. mm

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was thinking the same thing as Mark, only I wonder how much lower the compression is now on a 289 with 351W heads... Would the lower compression also cause a bog with the increased airflow??

Ron.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thats about what I thought. Now I would like to change the carb. What kind would you all suggest. I would like (if possible) to stay with a 2brl.
Paul W. 67 std

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Well if you insist on staying with a 2bbl, the most logical replacments are going to be a Holley. They make a 350cfm and a 500cfm. Trust me you will not like the mileage of the 500 so the 350 would probably be the best choice. The problem is they list at like $240, and thats for a manual choke. The electric choke kit is probably another $40.

On the other hand a competent carb man maybe able to make the modifications needed to make yours run right. The next problem is to find that right man. Accelerator pump changes are usally trial and error and can be time consuming even on a Holley with changable pump cams and squirters.

Just to let you know I just bought a "New" factory remanufactured Eldebrock 600 4bbl for $185 with a elec choke. You will still need the Ford auto kickdown lever conversion at I think $12 and a 4bbl intake.

A 289-302 intake is pretty plentifull on the used market and quite inexpensive if you look around.

I hate telling someone to do something that they dont want to do, but even if you do find someone to modify your carb it still may cost nearly as much as a 4bbl conversion and will never run as good as the 4bbl. mm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts