Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Got a probably stupid question, but I'm not a motorhead. I installed an Edelbrock performer kit/ Manifold and card/ 4 barrel and am wondering if I need to get a 4 barrel spacer with the nipple on the back to go to the PCV valve between the carb and the manifold? THanks

Steve:confused:

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
That all depends on whether your carb needs the extra vacuum to operate properly. Your carb probably runs on vacuum secondaries unless you bought a double pumper then that's another story.

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it has vacuum secondaries. If I don't use the spacer, where do I stick the PVC ?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good question, I've always heard that you need a spacer to help prevent a vapor lock on performance grade engines. My Holley has a vacuum port built into it that the PVC valve runs to.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
What carb are you running?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Sensei69, on the lower backside right in the middle of the Eldebrock carb there is a port for just the situation you speak of.

Its probably plugged with a pipe plug so thats why you didnt notice it. There is also one on the front side of the carb.

You may need to get a barbed fitting of the proper size for the hose with pipe threads on the other end to screw into the carb where the plug is now.

So no, you dont have to use a carb spacer. mm

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rg, I just checked and saw a threaded hole in the back of the carb that something can screw into. It's an Edlebrock Performer Series #1406 carb. Now in your opinion, should I have a spacer to reduce heat and raise the carb up a bit? (The choke is extremely close to the valve cover? If not, then where can I get one of those screw type connectors for the back of the carb to the PCV valve. I see none in the carb box. Thanks all.

Steve

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just found a instruction sheet. PCV valve support is in the front. Damm. Can I block this one and use a 4 barrel spacer with it in the back?

·
Registered
614 Posts
A carb spacer can't hurt your bottom-end, either...might give you a noticeable improvement.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
phenolic is the best stuff as it has less heat absorbstion ( hope i spelled that right) than the aluminum ones and holds up better to fuel then the plastics or god foprbid wood. dont laugh i have seen wood ones. nasty stuff to work with though if you make your own where a good dust mask as it is full of fermaldyhyde and will stink up the garage something feirce if you use a high speed sander on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts