Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...I have had great success thus far with feedback, so I thought I'd try again. I want to install a carb spacer on my 1973 XR-7 convertible's 351C. We've had a problem with hot starts, and from what I've read in other forums, this seems like the best place to start. If it doesn't work, I'm assuming no harm, no foul (assuming a 1/2" composite spacer). One issue I'm having is that I apparently need to know what type of intake manifold is there, and I'm not sure what it is. How would I identify that? The carb is brand new (Edelbrock thunder series - recommended and installed by a local shop). How difficult is it to remove the carb? I'm going to attach a picture, but I was wondering if I'll need to remove the hood. What needs to be disconnected from the carb before it is removed from the manifold, and what are the best practices / order of steps in putting it back together? Of course, if it is something that you would discourage me from attempting myself, that's OK too. I had success changing the starter and the alternator, but those are probably a little more straightforward. Thanks as always for your help.

Tyson

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well don't know if this is going to help ya but I'll throw in my .02 I just rebuilt my 4300D carb on my vert so lets just say I took the carb off more than once. All I had to do was disconnect the throttle, and kickdown linkage and disconnect the fuel and vacum lines, 4 bolts and off it came. I probably went overboard but I color coded taped the vacum lines and took pictures so when it went back together I could stare and compare.We all know how vacum sensitive these cats are. I already had the egr spacer between the manifold and carb so can't offer anything on your spacer question or eldebrock scenario. :smoke:

·
Registered
913 Posts
LIFE IS A DANCE, YOU LEARN AS YOU GO! Just take lose what you have to, and remember where it goes back, you will need extra gaskets and check to make sure that the carb. mounting bolts are long enough to add the 1/2 in. spacer. you will be all right.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Not sure how the carb linkage is on your car is, but i just did this on a 302, and i didn´t have to unhook the throttle lankage, just took off the aircleaner, unhooked the vacuum line to the distributor and the hose for the PCV, unbolted the 4 nuts/bolts that holds the carb, take out the 4 pinbolts if so equipped, screw in the 4 new and longer pinbolts in the kit, you need to slide the carb around some to clear the holes when putting in the pinbolts, lift the carb and slide a gasket under it and in place, then the spacer, then the 2.nd gasket, place the carb back and attach the new nuts and tighten them, reattach any hose, vacuum line etc that you may have unhooked/taken off

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies...I'm gonna give it a whirl. Any recommendation on where to get the spacer once I ID the manifold? Thanks again, Tyson

1 - 5 of 5 Posts