Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cougar Gurus, I can't for the life of me find the wire to plug in the carb seloniod for pre-start and boost RPM when the A/C is on. I have a 1970 Cougar XR7 351C came with 2v the previous owner changed to a 4v . Should their be aseloniod on this car?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I am fairly certain the answer is no, these cars did not come with one. However, you can equip one for stepping up the idle when the AC is on (as I did on my Holley) and tap it into the AC compressor clutch wire.

There is no cold start solenoid on these vehicles, just a fast idle cam set by the choke being closed/on.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My 70 XR7 Convt 351 2v w/air has a solenoid on the carb to increse the idle speed.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
My 70 XR7 Convt 351 2v w/air has a solenoid on the carb to increse the idle speed.
Ut oh, maybe I am totally WRONG!! Came with that originally Randy? And assume it ties into AC clutch wire?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am going to attach a photo as soon as I make it a bit smaller file. The wire is a blue wire that runs towards the fire wall. It has allwy been attached to the carb since I bougt the car in 1986.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I don't know about A/C cars, but the 70's had a elec. solenoid that when the key was turned on and you stepped on the gas feed, the plunger would pop out and the idle speed was set to whatever the car is suppose to idle at. When the ign. was turned off, the plunger would retract and the idle would fall off to the point that the engine could not run on, or diesel.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Guess I was totally off, sorry about that guys!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't know about A/C cars, but the 70's had a elec. solenoid that when the key was turned on and you stepped on the gas feed, the plunger would pop out and the idle speed was set to whatever the car is suppose to idle at. When the ign. was turned off, the plunger would retract and the idle would fall off to the point that the engine could not run on, or diesel.
That would be a called an anti dieseling solenoid.

Bill

·
Registered
439 Posts
Better late than never!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all of you for your information. Randy I did find the blue wire but it's hooked up to the choke ? Not a factory job, it looks as if some one cut and ran another wire to the choke. From the direction it exits from the wire cluster it should be connected to the seloniod. ? Can I run wires to them both from the Blue fire wall wire?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I would use blue wire for seloniod only, and if you look at the top of this section you will see how to wire the electric choke. i think it is listed under (electric choke hotwire).

·
Registered
439 Posts
My blue wire runs towards the back of the engine and plugs in a yellow single plug on the harness. The elictric choke should plug on to the stator (sta) on the back of alternator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts