Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be removing my Motorcraft carb for a rebuild. I have never removed a carb before, can anyone give me some tips. Also I will be 100 miles from the house, what tools should I make sure to bring. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Carb removal is pretty straightforward. Remove air cleaner. Mark and remove any vacuum lines. Disconnect choke stove (if applicable). Disconnect throttle linkage. Disconnect fuel line (put a rag under the fuel line so you catch any fuel that drips out). Remove 4 nuts that hold carb to intake.

As far as tools go, I would probably take a set of combination wrenches, a 1/4" or 3/8" socket set, a pair of pliers, some WD-40 and a few rags.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Also I would take along a can of 2+2 Gum Cutter/Carb Cleaner and some duck tape. After you get the carb off its a real good idea to clean the carb mounting surface and tape it shut wuth the tape to MAKE SURE NOTHING gets down in the intake manifold. I have a friend who took a carb off to re-build it and he just stuffed a rag in the holes and didnt realize he had dropped a tiny nut in there. To say the least it made a funny little noise that turned out not too funny when he brought it over puffing smoke and I told him he had a broken piston! BE CAREFUL with things around the open intake hole!
Scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts