Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1973 XR7 351Q and the carb went south on me. There are no markings on the carb except "motorcraft" and it is a 4bbl. I thought I had a 4300 series but every rebuild kit has the wrong size gaskets (too small of openings) the last kit was a 433B and its the same story. From the gaskets (off the dismanteled carb) pictured can someone tell what carb it is? I know the top gasket is not the full gasket, I can reuse the old bottom one that isnt broken. gaskets.jpg :smoke:

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I could never get those Autolite 4300s to work, so I just changed my intake to a cast-iron 70-71 4V and went Holley. Problem solved!!! Another problem with '73 Q-codes is the EGR spacer. It is aluminum and gets eaten away by the corrosive exhaust gasses. I know someone is re-popping them now. Yet another 'problem' solved if you go early- or aftermarket and Holley.... Have you gotten the (not so subtle) hint yet????

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So not having to get hit over the head with hint awareness, you suggest change intake and go holly? What recomendations would you make for my 73? Will holly accept all those nasty vacum connections? IMG_0167.jpg here is the disassembled carb

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Laffing, cougrrcj all I wanted to do is rebuild my carb, drop the top, and enjoy the beautifull florida sunshine, now you have me spending more hours under the hood. But I will say with all the parts delivery waiting I have the shiniest, detailed, non running car in the neighborhood. Your specific recomendation would be appreciated. :smoke:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Lew, that looks good! What was I thinking trying to get a carb kit for a cougar when all anyone cares about is mustangs lol

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, thats what Bennett is telling me too

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh and btw Lew, nice looking vert

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just wish I owned it today. I was the second owner from 1974 to 1984. I am trying to get it back from 4th owner that has had it garaged since 1992. He is not ready to sell but remembers I have first option to buy. In the mean time we built a Factory Five AC Cobra replica and wife bought us a 1969 very complete original Eliminator.

Oh and btw Lew, nice looking vert

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well at least you have the option of first refusal,but it sounds like you have been keeping busy and now with the complete original Eliminator. Unless there is a miracle Bennett is telling me to go to Ebay also, oh well all dressed up and nowhere to go.Again, thanks for all your help

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also in the Mustangs Unlimited catalog
‘71-73 Ford (Autolite) 4300 series 4-barrel carb**​
585A*............... $17.95 ea

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well M.U. doesnt have them in stock, 4-5 week backorder, got a call into the ebay seller. Just waiting to see.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok back to the rebuild thread and away from the timg thread.:evil: We pulled the carb back off to see what we did wrong or missed, maybe we didnt get the floats set right the first time so redid those. What we did find is when we went to replace the gasket between the manifold and carb with the one in the kit (original had no signs of wear and kits gasket was much thicker) there was a spacer plate ( for lack of the correct term) that the EGR bolted on to, there was no gasket between the bottom of that plate and the manifold. Hmmmmm. So we took the old gasket (not right sized ) and placed it beteen the manifold and spacer, then took the kit gasket and put it between the carb and the spacer. Well cranked the car over and sounded like a rod knocking but understand the gasket isnt the correct one. But the car runs 95% better, no die'n out when mashing the accelerator and runs much better. Off to find the right fit gaskets to get it back to 100%. The last day of vacation and there is serious progress finaly lol :smoke:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts