Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hiya. Well, now that the power steering works, I am looking to fix the next "concern" of mine...the Holley 4BBL carb that sits atop my S code 390. It needs some work (power valve is toast I think), and in the process of gathering the #'s off the carb, it seems to me like this is not the stock carb for it. It's model # 3557 and I believe is a 600 CFM carb. My cougar is a 68GT. Does anyone know if this is the correct stock carb? It also leaks gas, so if it is the stock carb, I may rebuild it, but if it's not, I may just get a newer one...any suggestions on CFM for a good performance driving machine? and what brand of carb would one recommend?
Thanks
Chris

·
11,000 Posts
The original carb for a 1968 Cougar "S" code 390GT is Ford P/N C80F 9510-C (manual trans) or C80F 9510-D (auto trans). This is a 600CFM Holley carb. If yours is the original carb it will have the abbreviated part number stamped into the air horn just above the Holley list number, either C80F-C or C80F-D.

These carbs are easy to find in either restored or unrestored condition. They provide super performance and are ideally matched to a stock engine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent...any idea on where to find one in restored condition? Mine is not the right one...I have C6OF-9510...which I guess was made in 66? I'll search the parts for sale here, but I am now on the quest for a good c80F carb..ebay?
Thank you Royce
Chris "powervalve"

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could the needed carb be a holley # 3796?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Chris,

Yes, you have a 66 GT390 carb. That's the same carb I'm running on BetaCat. Great carb, even for a mildy modified street machine. You didn't say whether yours is for automatic or standard shift. Also, you didn't say if 100% originality is a concern.

The best advice I can give you is to just have yours rebuilt. I have a guy locally who does mine for the price of parts plus $50. Everything will be returned to stock specs and tolerances unless you specify otherwise, and are guaranteed to work as advertized.

There are places, like Pony Carburetors, that will do a total restoration on your carb, including replating to the original color of Holley greenish-gold, but those are more for Concours restorations, and are expen$ive at $200+.

Milo

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originality isn't the biggest of concerns...if I could get this one up and going good for $100 or so, that would be great...the guy who is local to you...would he accept one shipped to him? Do you think I could get his number? I wouldn't mind rebuilding this one, but if I could get the correct one, that would be okay too.
Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
648 Posts
From my experience with my modified 390 X code car, you definately want to stay with a 600 CFM carb. The PO I got 68 KAT from decided to plop a 750 mech secondary Demon double pumper. WAAYYYY too much carb for the motor.

Listen closely to Royce...the man has a wealth of information to share....

Ken

·
5,470 Posts
Chris,

I'll give him a buzz tonite. He sold a bunch of my spare Holleys including C8OF and C9OF GT390 carbs last year for peanuts (<$75 each!). I figure he owes me a favor or two.

Milo

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great...thanks...let me know what he says...you guys have some nice looking rides!
Chris

·
5,470 Posts
Chris,

I just got off the phone with my carb buddy. Rebuilding any 4-bbl Holley vac secondary is $85 including original Holley gaskets. Double pumpers will be $90. Non-typical parts required to replace missing parts/incorrect parts will be extra. Cores also bought.

Shipping both ways is up to sender.

He requests that all carbs/questions go through me since I am known here on the message board. He is having computer/ISP problems.

PM me for further info.

Thanks,
Milo

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you very much....I am going to have to wait just a tad on the carb rebuild....the motor needs some attention first...a complete rebuild...made that decision yesterday when I noticed a huge blue puff/trail going down the road....but I am going to do the carb when I do the motor...so I'll email you when I am ready to send..thank you VERY MUCH for calling and talking to him..I'd like to rebuild this one and he sounds like a good way to go. Thanks!
Chris

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
The C6 GT carb is same carb just a different # and unless your going concours the carb you have will work fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts