Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all, this is what I have. I've got a 351c 2v and I need to adjust my carb and I just can't seem to get it right. I've tried to adjust 1 and 1/2 turns out on both screws. When I bought the car the left screw was tight and the drivers side screw was about to fall out. I tried to adjust it by sound and smell (no luck) I tried adjusting the timing a little to help but nothing. Now when I'm cruising at a steady speed the car jerks slightly but, constantly unless I left off the pedal or step on it. Any clues????

·
Registered
600 Posts
does the idle change at all when you adjust the screws ? If not then the carb is shot and you need a new one cause once the screws go it's all down hill from there. Also see if it is leaking gas anywhere.
Let me know
I will soon have a complete 2v intake carb valve cover set up for sale let me know if ya need it:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Check for vacuum leak. With the engine warmed up, put your hand over the top of carb and see if idle increases. Is so you have a vaccum leak somewhere. Use WD40 and locate/fix the leak first. If that checks out OK, inspect the idle adj screws for signs of damage. If they are all right, check the float level. if that is OK, you may need to do a rebuild, could be bad needle/seats, jetting, clogged passages etc. Best of luck.

One other thought, how many miles on the engine ? it may be time for a new timing chain.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
its a 2bbl!!! throw it away and invest in your local police department !! ( i.e.... get a 4bbl and go forth and decimate the populace )

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. I'll give it a try. Lance

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The two mixture screws only effect the engine at idle. You should get a change in idle speed/smoothness by adjusting them. A good rule of thumb is to start with both out about 1.5 turns, then turn the first one in until the engine starts to run ragged, like it wants to stall. Then back it out until it smooths out. Do the same to the other screw. Then slowly back out each a 1/4 turn at a time until the RPMs stay the same (no more increase). If you can smell it, it's too fat (rich).
On the other hand, the surging while going down the road could be caused by a few different things - if your vacuum advance is not working you will get a surge, also a faulty power valve in the carb will cause this, as will insufficient total timing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts