Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I got. I just put a carb kit on my 2bbl for my 351c, now when I rev the engine a few times and let off(to idle) Gas starts coming out from the hole on top of the bowl, if I plug that it cames out of these two tubes that stick up into the breather...from what i can tell the float is not stopping the gas from filling fhe bowl. What can cause this...??
Any feed back would be appreciated>>>

Lance

·
Registered
600 Posts
I am gonna stab at the dark in this topic but i did just recently rebuild a 4bbl for my conversion( thats another story)
Anywho what exactly did this Kit involve?
Was the float actually touched? Did you have to replace the valve on the bowl?
PLMK so i may further help you...lol
Good luck!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the valve and re-adjusted the float. and what i beleive is called the needle valve, the only things that stayed were the jets and the float just about everything else was replaced.

??????Lance

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hmmmmm

The readjustment of the flost might have caused it, a little off and wham tons o problems, also make sure the needle valve is not in too far, or out too far it is a pain in the A** to get right, heck i had my buddy do mine whn it came time to bench tune it:)
See where it's at and if ya know someone have them look at it!
Good Luck man and keep me informed!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I'll check it again tomm. but any more ideas arise drop me a line... Thanks

Lance

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think my fuel pump is pushing to much fuel, tommorow I'm going to pick-up a regulator I hope this works....any comments

Lance

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Dirty Needle Valve

Lance,
It sounds to me like the needle valve is dirty. The needle sits in a little relief and if it is dirty the gas rushes through the top of the bowl. the 2 bbl is a different animal than what I am used to but it was the case for my 4bbl and OC Cougar had the same problem on his 2bbl and it was indeed the needle and seat..Hope it helps.
Garey
btw
The 1st time I had both of my kids in my car (new baby) and my 16 month old son, the carb was a raging geyser thru the secondaries. Imagine the scene a newborn a toddler a 35 year old car and me trying to blow out the darn needle valve in the middle of the street! And it was a brand new carb!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you think my problem could be caused by too much tank pressure? My furl cap is not a vented cap. Should I get a vented cap?

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Not likely

I don't think so, but try it w/o a cap on at all.
The needle and seat is my best guess.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Sounds like if you put in a new needle and seat that you have the float misadjusted or bent and binding. Check it again. mm

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I triple checked everything today to include the float level and it still did the same thing, (I would rev the motor a few times then let it idle and out would come the gas. So today I put in a Holley pressure reg, new spark plugs, adjusted everything and she runs like a champ. I had to re-route some lines but other than that she fine. I also converted to manual choke, my choke was getting stuck which accounted for my poor gas mileage. Over all all is ok. Thanks for all the help. Lance

1 - 13 of 13 Posts