Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...last question for tonight! I was thinking about changing the 2V carb and intake on my 67 289 to a 4V setup...but I was thinking about the type of driving I am planning to do (whenever the snow disappears!) My apologies to the performance crowd but I am not planning to do any spirited driving!! (Guess my age is showing :p: ) So the whole idea of switching to a 4V does not seem to make as much sense as it first did. And I was told at one time that a 2V had a bit more get-up-and-go at low speeds due to the primary bores being a little bigger than the 4V. Can anyone comment on this?

Part two to this topic is if I decide to keep the 2V setup, the carb is in need of either a kit or being replaced with a rebuilt. My grandfather had told me once that the carb bodies can become warped with age, and putting a kit in such a carb would be pointless. Is there an simple method to determine if the carb body is warped or distorted? Thanks for the :1zhelp: !

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've never seen a carb body get warped. So I would say to rebuild. Rebuild kits are pretty inexpensive. But....I would go with a 4 bbl set up any day. You'll get more power, maybe around an extra 20 horsepower. You will also get better gas mileage as long as you stay on the primaries. Usually at normal highway speeds (ie 65 mph) you will still be on the primaries unless you're geared high in the rear.
If you go with the 4bbl set up and don't have anything yet, you can figure around $200 or so. (used intake $50, used carb $100 which you will want to rebuild with kit, around $30 and the intake gaskets.

just my 2 cents (more like $2 these days, things are getting expensive)
Bert

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The main thing to watch for if you decide to rebuild the 2V is to check the throttle shaft and make sure it has not worn out the base plate. I mean after time the holes that the throttle shaft runs through becomes worn and eggshaped and turns into a big vacume leak. The base plate can be bushed if needed. If your not enclined to to the work on the carb yourself and have to by a rebuilt, it might be time to go ahead with the 4v conversion. But may I suggest that since brand new eldebrock carbs (or single feed holleys if you would rather) running in the $200 or less range there is no good reason to use a used (wore out) carb.

Basically a 4V setup will not be any harder on gas if you can keep out of the secondaries, but who really can? So realistically if all your 2V needs is a kit, you might be happy that way.mm

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info!

I've decided to keep the 2V setup for now. This will keep it original and will match the driving that I will be doing. However this may change once I start driving around!:D I will be rebuilding the carb myself and the only other question I have is the rebuid kit. Is there an advantage to going with a Motorcraft kit compared to an aftermarket brand or even a generic brand??

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Keep out of the secondaries!!!!! That is just no fun:1poke:

Don

·
Registered
145 Posts
holley makes a 350 & 500 cfm two barrells that are excellent fgor 2bbl apps. they have center hung float bowls. basically a double pumper cut in half. they are found on some ford trucks and some even have the 50cc accel pump setup on them. check wrecking yards

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I used a 2 barrel 500cfm Holley. Good carb. I still have it but needs rebuild, let me know if you want it.

Rick.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the offer Rick, I think I will try a rebuild on the original carb first. See how things go from there.:)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I had a 360 4x4 once that had the carb decide to take a crap on me in the winter when I needed the truck badly and for a quick fix I used a stock 4412 500 2bbl from one of my race cars ( I sure wasnt running it in december). Yeah it ran great, just dont expect to be able to pass a gas station with it. mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i know that its not a great pic, but thats the old carb on my Cougar... can anyone tell me what it is?? the old owner said it was a Holley, but i dont know about that. its not written on it anywhere ( that i could see ) but still.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sixt9coug, that looks a lot like the one that is on my 67 289. Mine is a Ford 2100 series carb.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
coolness, at least i know... but those are only 350 cfm right?? eewwww. that carb is on the car below at the moment... i still have to get it back by the way. oh yeah, for all those that actually follow my Mach 1s progress ( its still delayed ) but i have just bought a 670 Holley street avenger for it :) i think the Cougar will get a run with it first though lol

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ok, mine didnt say that, and the fuel bowl looked different. im guessing the ol motorcraft 350 cfm thing

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Dark, where did you get that carb from? Looks like a old med duty truck carb, like off a 361. mm

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I've had it forever, got it at a swap meet about 12 years ago. Had it on my Fairlane for awhile, before that, I put it on almost all my other cars. Ran great but it's been sitting awhile and was torn apart cuz I was going to rebuild it but never got around to it.

Rick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts