Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is my current issue, I have a 72 351 CJ car, intake is correct spread bore, somehow the other owner fit a holley to that intake, I have seen a Holley pamphlet that said not to put a Holley square bore on a spread bore intake because of fuel distribution problems. So whats up car seems to run fine? And short of paying $700+ to Pony carbs where to find a correct Motorcraft 4300D. Thanks Jim:bloated:

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
If you car is running fine, then leave it alone.
If.

How do you know it's running fine? The difference between spreadbore and square can be the secondaries having issues with the plenum divider.
See here

and here
for comparisons.
You can get fuel falling out of suspension against the side of the secondary holes and puddling in the intake when the secondaries open.
People used to hog the secondary holes out with a die grinder to accommodate a square bore carb for this reason.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok we took off the carb and here is what I have it is the original 1972 351 CJ intake has not been ground or fooled with but it has a rather elderly looking spacer that accomadates the Holley butterflies????? Now what?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts