Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 600cfm Holley that's been spewing fuel like crazy, lately. I bought a new Eddie to put on the engine since I wanted a new carb anyway. So, I started checking out the fuel bowls for the Holley and found a decent bit of a smelly, chalk-like deposit sitting in it. It seems to be in other parts of the carb as well.

Anyone know what the stuff is? Old fuel? Calcium? Could this be part of the problem or is the float just probably set too high?

WP_20160303_003.jpg

WP_20160303_004.jpg

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ooh. Well, then. Considering how bad the picture is I will consider myself lucky that it isn't worse...

·
Registered
752 Posts
How long was that carb on your car? Just wondering how often we need to pull our carbs and rebuild them. Is there an additive to add to the crap gas we get to make it better? Which Edelbrock did you get? Let us know how you like it. I am considering changing my Holly for an Edelbrock.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I really don't know how long the carb was on. I'm assuming it's the original. It's an older model that isn't in production anymore. There are additives that can be used. I'll have to get some.

I got the Eddi 1405. 600cfm manual choke. Other than the issue with hard braking, I really like it. The design is more user friendly. Both adjustment screws are in front instead of opposite sides. It look much nicer, too.

The distributor kind of hides the carb but you can kind of see it.

WP_20160212_002.jpg

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just when I thought it wasn't so bad...
But wait! There's more!
It will probably need resurfaced. Fantastic.

WP_20160304_001.jpg

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, salvagable? Can I just throw a new gasket over it or should it get resurfaced?

WP_20160304_004.jpg

·
11,000 Posts
It is corroded beyond repair. It is not the ethanol in the fuel causing the corrosion, it is the water that is held in suspension by the ethanol. Not a big problem if the car is driven daily, but a huge problem for occasionally driven cars.

So, salvagable? Can I just throw a new gasket over it or should it get resurfaced?

View attachment 86145

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
It is corroded beyond repair. It is not the ethanol in the fuel causing the corrosion, it is the water that is held in suspension by the ethanol. Not a big problem if the car is driven daily, but a huge problem for occasionally driven cars.

I imagine you cannot simply add HEET or other fuel additive to prevent the moisture issue. I think HEET basically does the same thing - holds the moisture in suspension to draw it out of the gas tank :-/

Sounds like a good excuse to drive the ol' car more often! ...right after I rebuild the carb again :-b

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah. Well that's wonderful. At least I already have a new carb installed. I was hoping I could fix this one up and sell it. Guess I'll just be selling some parts. I suppose that somewhere along the line the car wasn't driven much. I use it as a daily. The owner before me drove it every so often but mostly restored it. I don't know how it was treated beforehand.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts

Gee thanks for the clarification. If you would have bothered to read the link that I had posted http://www.drivenracingoil.com/news/...ur-carburetor/ it comes to the same conclusion and how to prevent it from happening.

·
Registered
752 Posts
So did you have to move the fuel line from the drivers side to the passenger side when you installed the Edelbrock? And is the ethanol also the reason why I get a lot of water out of the tail pipes??

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I did have to move the fuel line. I also had to install a fuel filter between the pump and carb for warranty reasons.

Ethanol should not be the reason you get water out of the pipes. Either you have a leaky gasket that's letting water out or the hot air in the engine is hitting the cool exhaust piping and allowing the water vapor to condense. Leaky gasket will often cause steam or white smoke. Having water drip from the exhaust is normal during a cold start. I wouldn't worry unless you start getting steam or smoke.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts