Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So A month ago I replace my head gaskets (first time I have done anything like that) and after putting at all back together, I can't get it to start. I don't think my valves are to tight. I set the timing all the way advanced and get exhaust backfire. when I go about 5deg towards retard, I get carb backfire (cool fire though, great way to get a haircut. maybe I'll start a business 'Cougar Crew Cuts, shorter hair in under 30 seconds', but I digress :D ). Does this sound like a leaky intake manifold? Or maybe something else.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Sounds like...

Without a little more info, sounds like need to do more adjustment on the ignition timeing...:D
shane

·
11,000 Posts
Sounds to me like the distributor is installed 180 degrees out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Royce Peterson said:
Sounds to me like the distributor is installed 180 degrees out.
Yeah....... yeah, man - that's exactly what it sounds like to me also. BTW - about 13 years ago, I had most of the hair on one side of my head burned back to about 1/4 of an inch long using this method. Also burned the side of my face pretty well, so be careful.....

Lab Rat

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check again. #1 to TDC with both valves close and dist. should point to #1 wire, right. I'll give it a look tonight and let you know.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once again you guys are dead on, thanks a bunch, my cat lives !!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Travisirons said:
Once again you guys are dead on, thanks a bunch, my cat lives !!!
Glad to hear it! Now if I could only get mine to run...... of course, I guess that means I'd have to put it back together first;)

Lab Rat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts