Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled out of my local gas station yesterday, in a bit of a hurry as I did burn a little rubber (so much fun!), and the car stalled.
Luckily I was able to coast into another gas station off the main drag.

the car cranked great, but would not start. After checking the usual suspects, I called for a tow. 45 minutes later it started right up and I drove home.

I tinkered with it a bit in the garage. It wouldn’t start again. Took off the distributor cap. The end of the rotor seemed a bit dull and pitted. Got it shiny, put it all back together and it started right up. So I figured “problem solved”.

headed out to run some errands and it died again at a stoplight. No chugging, just from running to not running. Got it towed to my local shop.

the HEI module was replaced last March. The electronic conversion happened in 2000. As I noted in a different thread that got no replies, the car tended to stumble or stall going over a decent sized speed bump in a parking lot. That could be totally unrelated, or not.

so there are a lot of suspects - fuel pump, fuel filter, coil, hei module, float adjustment...... I have searched similar issues here but I didn’t find any help.

I’m just looking for guidance on how to proceed solving the issue. Thx

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
You need to do the basic checks when it don't start.. spark to the spark plugs... fuel at the carburetor ... and trace it back from there

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I think this sounds like an electrical problem. Next time check for voltage at the Distributor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could be water in the gas. Try adding a bottle of HEET or Isopropyl to the gas tank then let it sit for a little awhile before trying to start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sudden shutdown with no chug or stumble first is most often electrical. You other thread about pothole and RR tracks may be related too (or not).

Have you tried yanking/pulling (moderately, not tug of war style) on the connections at the coil, distributor and ignition switch and any intermediate connectors like the firewall or where two harnesses meet? I had a bad connection from coil to points(on a non Cougar FoMoCo engine) that must have been corroded internally, or maybe fractured under the insulation, but looked fine. Pulling on stuff sussed it out. Cut a short bit off the end and crimped a new end on the wire and was on my way.

Greg

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the ignition module. It’s up and running again. I think it’s time to start over with matching coil and distributor. Probably go with Pertronix

1 - 7 of 7 Posts