Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Anybody have a car transporter company they can recommend? There are many and they all seem to be in the same price range.
thanks
James

·
Registered
946 Posts
Enclosed or open trailer, short distance or cross country ?:smoke:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have shipped cars 3X. Most that advertise are really just brokers that take a middle man cut to arrange for transport through someone else. I've used Motor Movers 2X with positive results.

I just found it hard to talk with actual truck owning companies, never got call backs, etc.... I would have preferred to hire direct, but haven't been able to make it work.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have used transporters twice with mixed results. First time was really easy but second time was a nightmare. As stated in previous post, most contacts you find on internet sites are brokers and you take your chance with getting good ones. One word of advise is don't take the lowest quote. Likely they will take your deposit and promise they have a driver lined up when in reality they don't. Reputable brokers will not take a deposit until they have a truck lined up. Ask for the truckers information prior to sending the money. If you really love your car, spend a little extra. Also, if you use an open trailer carrier, expect to receive a super dirty car on arrival. Good luck. It's a learning experience.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Try www.uship.com

I have used it before but not for a couple of years. Last time I used it it was similar to an ebay type of thing where you listed the job you had and people put bids in on it. I know a guy locally to me who does transport for a living and he gets a lot of work from uship.com with great results...

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
I used BATS, very happy, they have both choices, mine came from Seattle to Cleveland OH enclosed, unless it is something you are painting/restoring go enclosed

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Use a real owner operator, not a fly by night broker

Horseless Carriage, Reliable or Intercity. Enclosed trailers, on time and absolute white glove service.

I use Intercity the most. Shipping from San Diego to NH cost $1900 and Atlanta to NH $900

I shipped a Suburban from Houston to NH at the advice of the seller and it was a disaster. Shipper was a Russian owned broker and the experience was AWFUL. No communication, no updates, hung up on calls and the truck arrived caked in mud. The $400 saved was NOT worth the suffering

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
I've heard of BATS but have no experience with them. Sounds like a reputable outfit to deal with.
Tom's (Gyrhead's) above comment hold's a lot of truth and I've been on the pick up end of a similar arrangement. Had nothing in it but making the car available at time of pick up, but had a very uncomfortable feeling while the vehicle was being loaded, and then pulled away.
Same arrangement... a Russian or Ukraine driver that spoke very broken and limited English. Car reached it's destination OK, however, I would be very hesitant to contract transportation with a broker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts