Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help settling a debate I'm having with my friend. I had my car in the shop for about 2 weeks getting the rearend gears done and on the drive home while stopped at a redlight I noticed that the car was surging forward while idling.

I told this to my friend and he said that there may be an issue with my carburetor. I say no because I had the carb tuned as well but that the problem was more than likely caused by my being low on transmission fluid. I haven't had a chance to check the fluid level yet but I wanted to get some of your thoughts as well. Btw, the car was totally warmed up too.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Could be trans fluid, could be vacuum leak. If you have a points distributor, could check that too. My old Cutlass would surge real bad when the points got bad, especially in reverse under load.

·
11,000 Posts
Surging is usually a result of timing being way off. Can be caused by a vacuum leak. If any vacuum hose gets disconnected or has a hole in it then your distributor advance does not get a signal.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Timing may be the problem, in fact the mechanic mentioned that it may need to be adjusted just prior to my leaving his shop. I'll get it back to him and have that as well as the idle speed checked out too. Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sloppy old timing set

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's more than likely something the shop did. I didn't have this problem before they tuned my carb. They had my car for two weeks, outside uncovered and I was itching to get it back and try out my new gears. Of course I took it to the carwash first since it was real dirty from being out so long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts