Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I figured out the problem about my car running rough/hard starts/stalls at low speeds. Cleaned carb, replaced the coil, condenser, locked the choke open, readjusted the jets, readjusted the idle, new vented gas cap and reset point (single). Ran good for about one day. Back to running crappy again!:angryfi: What the hell do I do now? Got a Chilton's manual and it could be a lot of things! Don't know where to start. I am going to the Pertronix as soon as I can afford it. Maybe, next week. I quess, I'm doing that first since I'm going to do that anyway.....what are your suggestions?:1zhelp:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Check the distributer shaft for play side to side,
is it wobbley? Make sure that inside the dist. cap is dry. Read the spark plugs, are they fouled? try swapping carbs with a known good one if possible. check for vacuum leaks around the intake and carb by sraying wd40 at it while running, it will smoth out when it finds the vac leak. i am leaning towards the carb. dont give up. hold that tiger

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't think it's the carb faulty

There was an extreme amount of pressure when I took off the fuel filter. Sucking air somehow.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Another thing i do when i have to trace a problem is the wiggle & tap test. With the car running wiggle wires, plug wires, fuel lines, connectors and tap tap on the carb and listen for change.
I had a stang that was sucking air at the short rubber hose at the gas tank to fuel line. the hose was old and cracked.
What type of carb is on it?
What are the exact symptoms?
How does it do at WOT (wide open throttle)?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Carb

The carburator is the original. 30 years old. Autolite. I had it rebuilt when I had the motor overhauled (13,000 miles ago). Then I had it rebuilt 2 more times since then for trash in it (rust, dirt, ect.). It now has about 500 miles on it. That's why I think it's not the carb. Can a carb be overhauled too much?...I'm going to try the wd40 thing first, that's a freebee!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Art

Changed that first! No change.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere that is the real problem if the problem went away for a day then came right back you probably temp sealed by moving things but then as it ratteled and shook it eventually came loos check your vacumm around where you were working last and i think you might find the problem.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Re: Carb

Cougar Kitty said:
The carburator is the original. 30 years old. Autolite. I had it rebuilt when I had the motor overhauled (13,000 miles ago). Then I had it rebuilt 2 more times since then for trash in it (rust, dirt, ect.). It now has about 500 miles on it. That's why I think it's not the carb. Can a carb be overhauled too much?...I'm going to try the wd40 thing first, that's a freebee!
If you've had problems with rust, dirt, etc for the last 500 miles I would be checking my fuel filter (possibly clogged) and the tank itself as it would be the source of the rust, dirt, etc.
Remember the KISS rule and look at what is obviously wrong and fix that first. If you throw all kinds of parts at it at once you will not know what corrected the problem. If it reoccurs, as yours did then you have nothing to work from and less $$ to boot.
If you have "an extreme amount of pressure" between the carb and pump (a little is normal) then you know that the fuel pump is working and that there is a good possibility that the fuel filter is blocked.
A condensor will act just like a bad carb but you've already replaced that.
It could also be a timing chain starting to go, check that TDC on #1 is correct on the balancer.
Personally, I would replace the fuel filter first and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Running rough

Thank you for all the input everyone! Throw some more at me if you like. I know it is a simple problem, the hard part is to find it. I'll play with the car this weekend. Narrow down these possibilities.;)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sunday, July 14 Update

Well, I fiddled with the car tonight...tried the carb cleaner around the intake and the carb while running and there was not much change in the rpms, if any. Checked the spark plugs. Gaps were off a little but, they looked pretty good. The Chilton's manual said the spark plugs should be Autolite ARF-42. The ones in the car just said Autolite 25. Are they incorrect? Could that be it?....still running bad.:1zhelp:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts