Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if any of you have the Custom Autosound stereos in your Cougars. I have the padded cosole and stereo surround in my '68 and want to make sure I make the right choice. I have been shopping on WCCC (what would we do without Don, Linn, and the boys?) and have narrowed down to either the USA-1, USA-230, or KHE-300. Do any of you have an opinion or advice?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the USA-1 in my '68 GTO (not in my Cougar) and really like it so far. I wanted a model that came with the MP3 hookup so I could listen to my MP3 player, but if you don't need that the USA-230 should be good, and I think it's a newer model. I found the USA-1 to be easy to install and easy to use, with decent power, but I'm using a separate amp for my 6X9 speakers in the rear deck. The front kick-panel speakers seem a little under-powered, but I think it's the speakers and their location (down low) and not the USA-1 head unit.
My Cougar has an older Alpine stereo, which works in only a couple of channels, haven't had time to trouble shoot it yet. May end up with a Custom Autosounds unit in there eventually.
Good luck!
Jeff

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm leaning towards the KHE31 just because it has the CD player. I have XM in the truck and love it but for a weekend driver i'm not going to foot the yearly price for that. The local FM here doesnt do anything for me so CD's are the next format I can deal with. Although I am fighting removing the original AM/8track player just because of originality. Just my .02

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you have a usable core you could have this place convert it to AM/FM Stereo plus AUX input. They also have ton's of cores on hand for most applications. This shop is near me and I have been there several times over the years to get parts for old car radios. Its a two man operation and they know what they are doing. I got a chance to listen to a converted radio and it sounded great and had plenty of power. The radio was driving speakers they had custom made by one of the last US speaker manufacturers. They have speakers to fit most classic cars. Most of their speakers use neodymium magnets to keep the size and appearance OE or loose to it. Keep in mind this stuff is not cheap but you get what you pay for. Their website is not the best but have a look and if interested give then a call. http://www.turnswitch.com/index.htm

Bill

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heard of these guys and have considered this possibility. I do still have the original AM radio from my '68. I hesitate to do anything with it, and in fact considered just putting it back in and just listening to the car instead of tunes...it seems that is the topic of another thread!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts