Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got the cougar a couple of months ago, it stank of gas. I pulled out all the matting in the trunk because it was soked w/ gas. That made it alot better but I still have a leak somewhere. I am getting lots of vapors in the cabin and I stink of gas when i get out. Is there a specific hose that goes bad or anything specific that I should be looking for at the fill spot?

Thanks
Austin

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
My 69 smelled like gas also and I found the filler tube hose clamps were in need of being tightened. If your trunk mat was soaked that should be a sign that you have a leak somewhere.

Is the top of the tank rusty anywhere and maybe have a pin hole in it? When the tank is near full open the trunk and bounce the car around and look for any leaks on top of the tank or around the filler tube. mm

·
Registered
364 Posts
and here's a safety tip...

DON'T SMOKE IN THE CAR!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
look at yout fuel line under the door , sometime it vibrates and a hole gets rubbed into the line, also look at where the line travels thru the torque box, good luck:::angryfi:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Austin...

are you sure the last owner didn't spill a can of gas in the trunk? The fumes will linger for months, especially during winter when the windows are usually rolled up.

I just don't see how enough gas leaking from the tank or a line would soak the trunk carpeting. It would have to be spurting out and hitting a hole under the carpet.

The filler neck, on the other hand, could be the culprit. Have you tried opening the trunk when you fill the tank? You might see it leaking in.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
A rusty pin hole on the top of the tank will look like a minature old faithfull every time a bump is hit and the gas is forced against the top of the tank. Thats how it can get into the trunk.mm

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys,

Next time I fill up the cougar I will watch the fill tube and then I will rock the car left and right and see if anything sloshes up. It will be nice to drive more than five miles and not get dizzy. ha

Austin

·
Registered
364 Posts
mm...

modifiedmark said:
A rusty pin hole on the top of the tank will look like a minature old faithfull every time a bump is hit and the gas is forced against the top of the tank. Thats how it can get into the trunk.mm
But isn't there metal between the trunk and the tank? I mean, the floor of the trunk isn't the top of the tank, IS IT??? God, I hope it isn't. That's how Pintos got started, I think...

·
Registered
118 Posts
YOUR RIGHT , THE TOP OF THE TANK IS THE BOTTOM OF THE TRUNK, UNLESS SOMEONE FABRICATED SOMETHING OVE THE TOP OF THE TANK:1zhelp:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the top of the tank is the bottom of the trunk. And you need to back up a little. I think that is where the falcon started. The mustang II started off as a pinto.

Austin

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Trunk floor/gas tank

73XR-7,

Since you have settled on collecting the 71-73s, you might not know that not all cougars are as 'safe' as ours! Up through 1970, the trunk floor is the top of the gas tank. Starting in 71 the trunk actually had a real metal floor and the tank was mounted under the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The pinto's problem came from seat bolts that were too long and punctured the tank . At least thats the way I remember it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
well, i knew there was a reason...

why i bought a 73 in 73.

when i think of all the things i've tossed in trunks over the years, i'm glad i never owned an older (than 71) cougar. i currently have a hatchet and a machete in there for cutting underbrush.

with apologies to pre-71 cat owners, it just seems like a needlessly dangerous design.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Earlier design Falcon/Fairlane/Mustang/Cougars

73XR-7,

Actually, a couple years ago, some bottom-feeding, mud sucking, parasitic, lowlife lawyer-types tried to get Ford to recall all cars designed the 'old way' for a safety recall. This movement started in California (it figures). The bleating call went up "If it saves just one life..." Don't get me started on that one! The incidence rate of these earlier cars catching fire is so remote, and the fact that the vast majority of the affected cars have long since gone to the crusher, it was deemed unnecessary. You can, however, buy a sheetmetal 'firewall' from several vendors that attaches to the rear seat back frame and is supposed to contain the spewing burning gasoline in the event of a rear end collision. Now what to do if you have a fold-down rear seat... Hmmmm.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Speaking of the trunk floor, (or is that the gas tank top)...is there suppose to be sound deadener material over the entire trunk floor in the 67?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Re: and here's a safety tip...

73XR-7owner said:
DON'T SMOKE IN THE CAR!!!
DOH!!!!
:1poke:

Don

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Re: well, i knew there was a reason...

73XR-7owner said:
why i bought a 73 in 73.

when i think of all the things i've tossed in trunks over the years, i'm glad i never owned an older (than 71) cougar. i currently have a hatchet and a machete in there for cutting underbrush.

with apologies to pre-71 cat owners, it just seems like a needlessly dangerous design.

'73..... Just where do you drive anyway....??!!??:eek2:

Don

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
another gas tank question.... i have a buddy with a 65 Stang, and it came to me in a flash... ( no not sparked fumes ) will the 20 gallon tank fit in there?? or will a new floor have to be put in to accomodate it?
BTW there is a sound deadening over the top of the tank... beware though the Cougar one is different, i had a tattered original on in the Cougar when i bought it and replaced it with a stang one, its about half ( or even smaller ) the size.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts