Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out this problem. I have a 2000 Mercury Cougar (V6, automatic). Every now and then, when I am stopped at a light or a stop sign, the car shakes very harshly back and forth. The shaking is very scary; I have no idea why it's occuring. It feels as if I have a huge sound system turned all the way up or something. I am actually jerked from front to back in my car. (it's not a fast shaking, just a steady, slow, hard, movement). After a while, the car stops shaking and goes back to normal.

A couple weeks ago, I was driving in my Cougar and I started to brake, but noticed that the brake pedal was VERY stiff. I would barely go down at all. I was frightened at first, but the brakes still worked, so, whew. As I was stopped, the car started doing the 'moving back and forth' thing again. This time, the brake pedal slowly un-stiffened and went back to normal as the car was shaking.

My car was just about due for its 60,000 check up, so I went to a mechanic and mentioned the problem. After examining my car, he suggested that I replace the rotars (although I'm not sure how confident in his own diagnosis he was).

I am not sure what to do. A friend suggested I try posting the problem in some forums. Can anyone suggest anything? Thanks so much!!!!

Jackie

·
Registered
30 Posts
If it does this when the car is stopped then it's probably not a rotor problem. If the cars front end shakes when applying the brakes while the car is moving it could be warped rotors which should be turned or replaced. You can usually feel it through the steering wheel as well.
good luck

·
Registered
100 Posts
This sounds more than likely to be a vacuum leak or timing/idle. Take it to a reputable shop and have somone go with. Have the mechanic drive your car till the problem occurs. Rotors are definately not the problem sounds like the other mechanic is trying to sell you a high dollar ticket you dont need. Also be real specific on describing the problem hope this helps good luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
shakes

both replys are good...
but you have anit lock brakes which brings into account
another cause...
First do you mean your car shakes from side to side or
from front to back??
I've never heard of a car shaking from front to back while
stopped...
Second.. you said you had hard brake pedal that went to
normal brake peda, this would indicate to me that the
anti locking brake systme might have a problem...
If you are stopped and the car seems to slip forward
while your foot is firmly on the pedal, this could feel like a shake
and also mean the braking system needs attention...
If while you are applying the brakes the front end, steering
wheel shake or shimmy then it could be a rotor problem and
they both need to be turned....
Do you hear any sqealling or metalic sounds while braking?
worn rotors can cause problems...
Best
let us know what happens, and please when you do go into a
service shop take someone knowledgalbe with you...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your advice. To answer some of your questions:

1) the car shakes from front to back when stopped (not side to side)---I know it's weird, but it happens.

2) there are no squeaks/squeals/etc, just the shaking

3) the thing I mentioned with the pedal only happened once; most of the time it is only the shaking that is the problem (the pedal is normal)

I wish I could have a mechanic drive my car until the problem occurs, but it doesn't occur that often. I can go for a couple weeks without experiencing it. For that reason, I'm not rushing to have it fixed---but I think that might be a bad approach considering I don't want anything suddenly breaking down while I'm driving.

·
Registered
69 Posts
hard pedal, shaking while stopped. I would bet it is like River Cat suggested. Vacuum leak. My 69 Cougar did the dame thing and the problem was a ruptured diaphragm in the brake booster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts