Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car started overheating yesterday and then today the coolant light came on. When I checked the coolant today, it was below the minimum. I tried putting water in there but the car started overheating soon after (within 5 minutes). I checked the coolant and now the coolant is WAY less than what it was before. There's barely any and there seems to be a leak coming from directly under the reservoir.

Then I discovered this:
AbOpA.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AbOpA.jpg

I'm 99% sure the leak is coming from this hose. Is this supposed to be connected to anything? Or is it supposed to prevent the reservoir from exploding due to pressure if the coolant gets too hot? If so, why is my coolant getting too hot and expelling liquid from this hose?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That look like the overflow hose to me - it doesn't have to go into anything, but you could run it into a tank/catch can if you like. The radiator cap will let off pressure and it runs out that hose when it's overfilled usually. Just because fluid runs out the hose a doesn't mean it's overheating.....could mean you are overfilling. If it is overheating it will really lose a lot of fluid and that means you have other problems to look into.....

·
Registered
396 Posts
Should be a sign somewhere of where it is leaking from. Either when parked by dripping, or down the road, there should be a trail back from leak. Especially if from radiator. Possibly a hose? Heater hoses, heater core arecother possibles. Make sure it is not getting into the oil, that would be Bad...

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Note that this is a later-model car - what is it?

The reservoir says it's under pressure. The loose hose may be the connection from this reservoir to the radiator and needs to be reconnected, although it looks dry. If this is the case, you will lose a lot of coolant.

I have seen similar reservoirs crack, causing leaks (of course), and thus needing to be replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts