Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yep, just quit. drove it to the store, came out and it would crank strong, and get fuel. $30+ later new coil ,points and condenser still cranks strong, i am thinking "no power to the coil" bad ignition switch. anyone out there have had the same problem ? would like some info. thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
spark

Well maybe this little bit of knowledge can help just try pulling one plug and see if it is all wet and if so maybe your not getting any spark then check on the wire going from the coil to the distributor.
You should be able to pull the wire off a plug and check for spark there using some timing lights. Power to the coil should be able tobe measured witha voltmeter not sure what it should be though.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yep, Spark, the first thing you check when an engine does not start. Make sure the points are properly gapped. If they are not opening you will never have spark! Just my .02

·
Registered
329 Posts
Car quit

If you have spark and fuel It cranks over strong It could be your timeing chain jumped.If you have someone turn the motor over while you check the sound comming out of the tail pipe. If you hear a puffing sound as motor turns over you need to change your timeing chain and 2 gears. Steelcat 70 XR7 Ragtop

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still lookin

pulled the #1 plug out ,checked it for spark and it has spark. tore the frt . end apart and checked the timing marks, they were good. i am running out of ideas. maybe the alignment of the planets is doing it.hehehe

·
Registered
160 Posts
HUH!!!

Well last thing I can think of is check and make sure your distributor and rotor are still correctly timed as in nothing jumped off track. Although the number 1 spark plug has spark you may also have to check the others for good measure and after that I'm quite clueless sorry...Possible cam problem???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts