Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really hate to piss anyone off but, I keep hearing about the Government wanting to crush ALL old classic cars! I forget what year they cut off at. At one time, I heard all cars 15 years or older. :angryfi: That pisses me off to no end!!!What has everyone else heard?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Here in BC, Canada, they crush cars older then mid 80's. And only a few wrecking yards specialize in OLDER cars.
Also, if the cop thinks your car is unsafe, it has to go to a mandatory Government inspection. The inspection is very grooling, and they pick apart everything, from seat belt ribbing to headliner to brakes and body rot. It cost 56. Can. for the inspection and it's off the road if you fail and needs to get fixed before you can drive it again. Im all for it, but Ive seen mid 80's cars (some 90's as well) that dont get the attention that older muscle cars do as when it comes to cops being dicks. My friends 86 Camaro is VERY bad, smokes blue, missing 1/4's and ALOT of rust, but doesnt get dinged because its not classified as a muscle car according to cops. I used to get stopped all the time in the Fairlane cuz it had primer on it, and mags and a hood scoop, so they thought it was unsafe. Totally biased, and envious I guess,lol. I take pride in my mechanical ability, and workmanship in my cars, and I have to be safe cuz I drive with my kids in the car, and dont drive like a wild man when they are in the car (90% of the time), and safety is #1 in all my cars.
I had a road side inspection on the Fairlane and the cop couldnt find anything wrong to ding me for so he gave me a warning for my headliner (dont have one), and I told him it was on order, and he let me go. He just said he will be watching for the car, I told him cool, when it's finished, I will sell it to him, and drove away,lol.

Rick

·
Registered
266 Posts
What the hell does a headliner have to do with safety. Cops suck.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
If the headliner is hanging down, it will obstruct the drivers view if he's criuzing and it flaps and is a distraction. The Fairlanes was so dry, and when I got a new window put in the front, the glass guys ripped the headliner apart and it wouldnt stay up so I took it off. Better now than a roadside suspension and having to replace it before I could drive it again. I just painted the inside black so its not that noticable,lol.

Now my motor ticks alot, (bad lifters), and cops tell me to get it fixed, I tell them its a solid lifter cam, a 271hp 289 hi-po motor, it's supposed to be like that, they buy it. hahahaha

Rick

·
Registered
314 Posts
I heard that SEMA had crushed(pun intended) the car crushing bill here in the States.
If a jerk cop:finger: pulled me over, because my car is bad shape and I couldn't drive my kat until I got it fixed i would....
1. Tell the cop to pay for a total resto
or
2. Tell the cop to but me a new GT Mustang
or
3. Buy 2 really really crappy cars and ditch one on the governors lawn, and the other on the cops lawn.

Don't you ever mess with a man's / woman's classic car!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope SEMA doesn't ever take away our hobby of restoring classic cars! I will want to kill someone too if anyone "F's" with any of my cars.:finger:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I dont think SEMA could ever get the clunker bill passed, there are way to many hobbist on our side.

Rick

·
Registered
314 Posts
Let's clear this up, maybe I wasn't clear but SEMA is on our side. SEMA stands for Specialty Equpiment Manuactures Association, If there is any type of legislation that threatens the classic car/ aftermarket industy they oppose, and usually defeat the *******s who want everyone to drive new "clean" vehicles.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
DOH!!!! I knew that, I like SEMA!!! The government in Canada isnt into emission testing as much as the US is, at least in BC anyways. I can even spray paint in my yard,lol.

Rick

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm pretty lucky with painting in my area too Rick. I'll tell you one thing, the day they come to get my cat to crush it they better pack a lunch because its not going without a fight. Of course I know it will never come to that, they will only get the neglected cars unfortunatly those are our parts cars!!!
John
wvcat

·
Registered
794 Posts
dark7068 said:

Now my motor ticks alot, (bad lifters), and cops tell me to get it fixed, I tell them its a solid lifter cam,
are you serious? the cops have authority to complain about ticking from your motor?
The most they can do here is give you a ticket for open headers.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
crazycat, it all depends on the mood of the cop is what it boils down too. If your a dick to him, he can pretty much do what he wants, and act tough around his buddies. Doesnt work with me anymore, I flash my inspector license, and pretty much say biteme. It was part of my Commercial Transport/Heavy Duty upgrading at the college, and I know the rules,lol.
But if he thinks its unsafe and will cause damage due to an explosion, he will get you to get it checked out and show proof it was looked at or fixed.

·
Registered
794 Posts
thats insane! I could just imagine having a Vortech T trim on a late model 5.0 and getting stopped at every light for the loud whine.

I dont follow the "inspector license" what do you inspect?
meat, fumes, poon, ?!? :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts