Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"" Ford has already said that the Cougar is doomed after this year. We could have told them that in 1971."

hmm, granted the styling, heaviness and smog era engines have yet to grow on me, but id just like to get a whiff of what the 71-73 guys ( and ladies ) have to say about this.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Myself being a 72' owner I have to say that this pisses me off:angryfi: In a world where hondas n' stangs are on every street corner the 71-73's offer something different. I dont read Car Craft and probably never will but a comment like that just encourages everyone to drive the same car. On heaviness, yeh I'll give you that one. The car is very big. But I disagree on the engine subject. Some of the 2v's were very weak but the 4v has some good power, especially a High Output option.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i like Car Craft, they are probably the most liberal of teh car mags out there. but hell i didnt even expect them to say this either.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as far as what i meant on engines is the normal Joe Public ones. granted there were some nice 351C 4bbl cars made, but lots were just 2bbl ones. BUT as with just about all muscle cars in Cali... they are smog exempt now and we are land of rust free cars. hell i saw a 71-2-3 convt the other day for the first time on the street. ( sorry about the 71-2-3 thing, i cant tell the difference ) just because alot were low-po from the factory doesnt mean they have to stay that way. i had a 2bbl 351W when i bought my car. things can change for the gooder :D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I dont care what you guys think, I love a mag that has the guts to call a spade a spade, and to hell with the masses!! NOT!! Sorry I could'nt help myself:dogpile: . Seriously, I give up on most mags a long time ago. Too much B.S. Some things are good but you have to wade through alot of crap and use your own judgement. I myself have nothing against 71-73 Cougars and Mustangs. 74-present I wont speak as highly of. mm

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If you don't like the 71-73's, DON"T BUY ONE! WAA WAA WAA!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
71-73s ain't wimps!

71-73 Mustangs and Cougars had some of the most potent cars of the Musclecar era. 71 had both the 429CJ and Boss 351, 72 had the 'watered down' 351HO, and the 73s still had the 285hp (net horsepower rated) 351CJ.

They say the 71-73 were too heavy, but the fastest production Mustang was the 71 Boss 351 by most magazine accounts. Too bad they never offered the Boss 351 in a Cougar! The 71-only 429CJ suffered the same fate as the earlier generation Mustang/Cougar's available 428CJ - too nose heavy for its own good. Poor weight transfer for straightline acceleration and just too much front weight bias for responsive handling. The small blocks handled much better!

That's why I like my 351Clevelands! They have the deep breathing heads of a canted valve big block, but the lighter weight of the small block. With a little tweaking here and there, my ~stock 351CJ BetaCat ran14.4s, all day, every day, through the stock dual exhaust on street tires. Not bad for a 3700 pound car, eh? With engine mods, more converter, slicks and a set of headers, AlphaCat will run a 12.8. Oh, and I still have my power windows, interval wipers, four speaker stereo, leather seats...

Let those magazine guys diss the 71-73 Cougars. They can eat my dust!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey Cougrrcj, do both Alpha and Beta cats have CJ's? And also what can you change on a 72 High Output to give it more horse power. Power...hehehe:rolleyes: can never have enough.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Alpha/Beta?

Please, tell me what this means.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Cougrrcj has two 73' cats one named Alpha Cat another named Beta Cat. Like the letters "A" and "B" in the greek alphabet. If he wants to describe each of the cars he can because I cant remember which is which.;) Maybe I'll name my car "Omega Cat" .... hmmm...maybe:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Thank you

And I thought they were special edition Cougars!! Duh!:p:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts