Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm looking for car cover options. Back in the late 80's I had a canvas/denim car cover that came from Beverly Hills Motor Association (or a name similar to that). I really like that. It was heavy enough not to blow around in the wind and protected the car from the sun/snow/frost. And, it was tough enough to not tear or rip if I took a broom to it sweeping off snow.

More recently, I bought one of these 5 layer types. It's light and is designed to protect the car from all the elements. Overall the cover is ok, but over time one of inner layers had disintegrated into this fine white powder that is all over everything. I think this inner layer also contributed to the strength of the material as it seems to tear much easier than before.

So, now I'm in market for another cover. I've look at the California Car Cover catalog and did some surfing around the net. I'm going to buy two, one for the Cougar and one for the car that now has to sit out in the elements because of the Cougar (sucks to be the low car on the totem pole).

Honestly, unless the Cougar is being driven, it's in the garage. As most of the interior is original, (I've replaced the front seat upholstery and the carpet) keeping the sun off of it is important if I'm out and about and it's going to sit out in the sun for a while.

I'd really like to find a canvas/denim one, unless all this hype about the multi-layer stuff is legit. But, what I don't want is one that has a layer that disintegrates into a white powder that gets into and all over everything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Seems to me there are ups and downs to every type of cover.....mine is one of those lightweight soft woven ones that for the most part is perfect for indoor and nice weather stuff. But I have had various ones over the years and The heavier ones tend to wear the paint on the corners in the wind. Plus they aren't as washable - unless you lug it to the car wash in the back of a pickup and hit that way to drag it home and hang it on a fence. Some of the light ones don't hold up to well to washing either, but they all gather dust and hold it after a bit of time.....I also like being able to easily don/doff the thing and stick it in the trunk with room to spare. SO I vote for the cheaper (but not real cheap) soft ones for everyday use, and maybe one bad weather one for when you can't tuck it in the garage

·
Registered
945 Posts
I bought one of the cheaper ones which I was happy with, but hated seeing the cat covered in the garage so its in the trunk now. I was told by another member that a good idea even with a cover is to put a mattress pad between the car and the cover. :smoke:

·
Registered
784 Posts
What about that inflatable plastic bubble one? I'm sure that's probably not what you're looking for but you won't have to worry about the cover disintegrating or even touching the car for that matter...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Think that would be Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories (and think I had one too). Here's what an interwebz search turns up: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145714 Most places sell Covercraft covers these days including California Car Cover which is one of the more popular sellers of covers. For indoor storage, I love my Dustop cover. Outdoors is a dicey proposition and my take is uncovered may be a better way to go or a pole barn type of awning (forget the correct name).

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I use the Covercraft Evolution IV cover. It's heavy enough to not rip but still allows the car to breathe when the cover is on. Since the car will occasionally sit outdoors when at an out-of-the-area show, I want the weather protection without going all the way to a Noah all-weather cover.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Hello Greg, I also have (2) of the Beverly Hills, blue, denim-style covers with the soft lining that are specific for the Cougar. They are both 20+ years old now and still look great. I never used them in outdoor conditions though... indoor storage only. I figured a little dew on the Cat of an evening was better than a wet denim car cover; Lol. Hope you find a cover that suits your needs.

Gary

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
yhe dusttop gives good protection in the garage---do a search cuz the one recommended fit terrable---tha next one fits a67/68 like a glove
doctordesoto

·
Registered
99 Posts
If it is like my cover which is old old, a tan flannel one, it is perfect for inside garaged cars. The flannel underneath protects against scratches. It wouldn't be good for outside though. Luckily I can keep all the cars inside since the kids moved out, now I just need them to take their junk and tires etc away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts