Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the Cougar back from paint yesterday and had to start putting it together even though it was getting late.

car6.jpg car7.jpg tomorrow I'll make room in the garage so I can work later.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Looks nce, congrats :beer:. Was it it bodyshop jail for a while? John

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Looken good. keep posting pictures.

·
Registered
524 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Oh, I love how that looks, very nice. Post more pictures when you have them. Is this a stock color for Eliminator?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Another illustration of why the 69 Cougar is my favorite. Are those 17 inch wheels, and do you plan to drop the nose any?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
What are you trying to do, give me a heart attack!!? Drool Drool. What can I say but very nice. I have not heard of Chrome yellow, that's not a stock color I would think, but still very nice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My brother ( He had a '69 eliminator , his first car ) and his youngest boy came over today and we got it together enough for us to go for a quick drive. First time I got to drive it since I've own it,except for in and out of the garage.It did good for a car that sat for 15 years.While we were working on the car my nephew decided he needed to go home and bring back there '67 cougar that he is driving till his 68 mustang is restored. ( meant to take pictures of his but was to busy taking care of mine)

It was gone for only 3 months but after two bad attempts at painting. It was completely stripped down and redone and came out good.

We got the color wrong it is a shade darker than it should be, but close enough. If I do a complete restore It will be right. I'm just putting it together to drive and enjoy.

They are 17's 8 inch 245/45 in front 9 1/2 285/40 in rear. Worked for ECI BOB so I went for the same size.

It got late but I took 2 pictures to send to my other nephew, I'm planning on getting more when I get off work tomorrow.

cougar12311.jpg cougar123111.jpg My brothers elim steves.JPG Lost track of it in the 90's

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
In the side view of the car with the new wheels on it in the first post was actually was alot darker out than it looks in the picture and makes the car look darker too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thought I should post a note about the wheels/tires. The rear rubs the inner fenderwell when going up the driveway at an angle.I'm going to hammer the lip flat and it should take care of the problem. I'll post a picture of it when I get it done.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Your really should just role the lip. Do you have a baseball bat? you can go on yourtube and check out rolling a fender lip there. Using a hammer will chip the paint and rolling just does a better job.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I used the wrong terms when trying to explain the problem with the wheel rubbing. these are pictures of the area where its rubbing.

090911 035.jpg 090911 033.jpg 090911 034.jpg

It only rubs when going uphill at an angle, so I guess the best fix is just don't go up at an angle.:toung:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
It looks like your hitting the upper portion of the wheel wells as well. Are there bump stops in the suspension to limit the amount of movement in the travel of the suspension? Also, your leaf springs may be week if your bottoming out like that as well. I could be wrong.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts