Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
My car has an old school viper alarm that the previous owner installed. I had to replace the siren and one of the door sensors in 2010, which I found on eBay for about $60.

There is a a red led in my center console that flashes when activated and there are sensors for the hood, doors, and trunk. I honestly don't use it anymore since I park in my garage but I do test it every now and then.

I also have flush mounted hood locks, as you'd be surprised what people will try to do to your car when parked and left unattended for more than a few hours.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I honestly see no value in an alarm...... you'll end up pi$$ing more people off than you will benefit from the alarm, whe it goes off and your not around to shut it off. Put a club on the wheel and leave the wheels turned if your worried about it leaving in the middle of the night. OR - move to a better neighborhood.....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I have a Black Widow 2 button remote alarm installed on Isabel, I did this during the build mostly because I wanted remote entry, remote trunk release and ignition disable (in that order). I am very happy with my system although it was some work - requiring a battery of relays to implement the functions mentioned (in addition to the alarm itself). My final comment on the topic is: "Who uses a key to get into their car in this day and age?". Not moi...

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I have removed more car alarms than I have installed.

Also "club" can be defeated in ten seconds with a hacksaw. Cut the steering wheel, bend it a bit, and go.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have removed more car alarms than I have installed.

Also "club" can be defeated in ten seconds with a hacksaw. Cut the steering wheel, bend it a bit, and go.
Oh, I know that. The point is to discourage an opportunist. If someone really wants the car, they'll take it. No anti-theft measure can stop that.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
isn't that just a battery disconnect switch? What's inside it to limit current..?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
isn't that just a battery disconnect switch? What's inside it to limit current..?
If it's like the battery post dis-connector's I have seen, a low current fuse. Or, it could possibly have a resistor (doubt it).

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Now you got me wondering if mine is that way...? I thought it was all or nothing! I'm gonna have to look closer at it..... it does not have a removable "key" though - so I bet it's just on/off. I don't have anything that draws juice other than the clock which I never pay attention to anyway. Meh - curious though. I do want to put a nice deck in this year......

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Car alarm is VIPER 350 PLUS 3105V. Most car alarms are designed to be installed universally and can be installed in virtually any model of vehicle. Some car alarm systems include other functions such as a remote start feature, or monitoring services like GPS location and tracking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts