Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I am pretty set on the idea of using the "old style" cap and rotor (and the engine runs fine with that as its current configuration), but thought maybe I should be considering the bigger, Duraspark style cap and the adapter that goes underneath. I have no doubt that it is a better setup electrically, cosmetically, maybe not so much. I can use either and the custom wire set comes with both distributor end styles to choose from.

What say you all?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the duraspark cap assy works well and has kinda a stock appearing look to it
doctordesoto

The big flat pancake style with spark plug terminals and an adapter underneath? I *think* Durapsark originally had the "old style" cap and later went to the former. I like the simplicity/size of the old style but realize that the newer style is better electrically. Struggling a little with the decision of which to buy.

But, with a custom wire set that come with both end styles, I could start with the old style and change later to the new if I so desired.

I have a used new style, I'll throw it on and see what I think of the "look".

Anyone else with thoughts?

Thanks Dr.

Bob

·
Registered
524 Posts
I would choose the older small style-just for the nostalgia. How much better is the "newer 2 piece" cap electrically. Maybe if you were a full time bracket racer looking for every 10th but for a show/driver I cant see there being that much a difference that it would influence my choice. I put Electronic in my 70 using a point dist housing with internals out of the electronic. The elctronic housing was a mess so I cannabilized(spelling-you know what I mean) both and made one- works fine and looks stock!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The new style cap is better just in that its terminals are further apart - and thus less prone to arc-over. Going to try the used big cap I have now, see what I think. In general though, I think I am with you on which looks better.

I like the blue Standard Motor Products ones with the brass terminals.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Answer to new style "look": FUGLY!! Case closed.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Yes, the big flat cap is ugly, and it looks out of place in your Classic, but...

Remember that a MSD sends multiple sparks through 20* of crank rotation (or 10* of distributor rotation). Combine that with the hotter spark with the MSD Blaster 2 coil, and you need all the terminal separation (and the wider blade on the rotor) that the bigger cap/rotor provides so as to prevent possible crossfire to wrong terminal/plug wire...

The bigger cap also provides you with the option of running bigger (more insulation) plug wires...

Just a few things to think about :1poke:

Whatever style you choose, make sure to use a cap/rotor with brass terminals. The MSD tends to 'fuzz-up' the aluminum

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Just keep the small one Bob. The big ones are hideous, maybe not as bad as an HEI, but fugly nonetheless. My Mallory has the small cap, running the 6AL-2 and a 75,000 volt coil with no worries. I have spun it up to just under 7K and it runs as smooth as silk.

The only thing you really need to worry about would be the "phasing" of the rotor to cap. I think it is pretty much idiot proof on most, if not all, electronic type distributors. Whatever you do, don't search for, or read through, rotor phasing stuff on the Cleveland forum. I may have caused a big stink about it's existance over there.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You guys calling my cap fugly - makes me feel bad!....At least its an MSD billet dizzy kinda helps a little. I had a heck of a time with arcing on a stock style one - you could see the carbon tracks between the posts. Not an issue with the MSD dizzy. Also I had arcing from the coil primary to the secondary...which I used a high volt material on the post to "fix" it but I really should get the coil wiht the extended nose on it - ugly too! What do ya do....dress 'em up as good as you can and call it good I guess.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
if the small correct caps were so good then why did all the factories and msd go to the large cap--if you want origionality , go with the small cap and your 6.95-14 bias ply tires.if yiu want to really enjoy your cougar , put as much modern stuff in it you can afford without losing the classic look of the car---i think they're calling it restomod
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
With all due respect Dr., I can always do that, but am going to try the original style first. I will have the spark plug terminals left over from the custom wire set and the FUGLY cap is just a parts store trip away so it's all good. If I try and fail, I can live with that. And yes, I'm building a restomod I guess, but I do not put myself into a category, I'm way too out there for that! :bloated:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts