Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My roomate bought these heads for his '73 Bronco w/ a 302 -2v. The guy told him they would bolt right up - but he has concerns. These heads look to be physically bigger than the ones he has on now (stock), and have a different bolt pattern (valve cover). My questions are...

1. Can someone tell me what year/engine size these orginally came on.

2. Will these work on a stock '73 302-2v

please see photos below. I took pics of all of the numbers I could find - I didnt see a "standard casting number" anywhere. *shrug*

ANY help is appreciated.

Let me know if additional pics are needed to reveal the identity.

*NOTE* the number on the first pic is 9A10 the other head is 9A11

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
The casting numbar is the E7TE. meaning they are 87 engenering heads for a truck. The 9A** is the casting dates. one on Jan 10th and the other is Jan 11 1989. The valve covers should be the same as far as I know. Can you get a picture of his old motor? neal.

·
11,000 Posts
The casting ID number is shown in one of your pictures.
E= Decade, 1980's
7= Year of that decade = 1987
T = Truck application (design)

This head would be a poor choice for a replacement for your friend's Bronco. It uses the bolt and sled fulcrum to attach rocker arms, the '73 Bronco 302 used a stud and ball mount. Your friend needs to find a head with casting ID of D0__ or D1__ or D2__. There are also wonderful aftermarket heads available from Edelbrock, World Products, Air Flow Research and many other companies.

I don't understand your comment about valve cover bolt pattern, it is the same on the heads in your pictures as any 302 except the 69 - 70 Boss.

Royce Peterson

1 - 3 of 3 Posts