Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe not the right section, but there are numerous forums I could have posted this in.

My car currently looks like this.
#

Now, the more observant among you will notice that it's de-locked, and de-handled. (as well as being totally cool! :smoke:)

Herein lies the problem.

In a month's time, I'll be moving to Norway, and I want to take my car with me.
Not a big problem, except for the fact that because it's a '71, import regulations mean that it has to be "near standard".
While all rules are bendable, the one that is least bendable requires the vehicle to have exterior door handles.

Obviously, I could refit the originals, it'll be a PITA, but not a big deal.

However, I want to fly in the face of convention, and do something different.

At the moment, I'm looking at handles from a C3 Corvette, and wondering if they could be made to fit. They are slightly more flush mounted than the Cougar's.

Like these.

Not sure if it'll work or not, so I'm researching other options.

This is where I need help from you guys. :wave:

I need thoughts and opinions on what would make a really cool handle to fit my car.
Obviously, the latch has to be pushed, or pulled down to be released, rather than pulled up. so it would need to be capable of doing this.

It's also not essential that the handles are mounted in the door, so long as they are obviously door handles. It would be possible to use some sort of microswitch to activate the poppers and open the doors.

Any thoughts ?

·
11,000 Posts
I think Leon is on to something. You could add a set of side marker lights like these:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
LOL @ Royce & Leon, but there is a Co. that makes a universal fit, flush-mount handle conversion. Stacy David (that show: GEARZ on the SPEED channel) did that mod to the Cougar he's working on.

Car looks bad a$$, Bob. Good luck w/the move.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
You could do like scammers used to do in the early Ebay days, and just put a picture of a door handle on the door.

I doubt those Vette handles will work since they are meant to mount horizontally in the tops of Vette doors, pushed down, and then you grab the inside edge of it to open the door. Mount it vertically, and pushing the latch towards the inside of the car to open it instanly closes the door again...

I've taken an interest in using modern car flush"ish"-mount handles. You'd have to cut the section of metal around the handle and weld it and the handle into your Cougar door.

Something like this:?

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sean, I still hoped to mount them horizontally in the door. My major concern is that the upper part of the Cougar's door has a much more pronounced curve in the door

My brother in law has a C3, we're going to get together soon, and I'll check out the shape of them.

I'm not overly sure about going the "modern" handles route, if posible, I want to find something as close to flush as possible. However, if I could find the right handle, I'd consider it.

Royce and Leon, thanks for your suggestions, they are very helpful, I'll make sure they are filed in the appropriate place ! :bloated:

·
Registered
418 Posts
just get a set of em and glue em on, if they are going to try them hook up a stun gun to the handle - that will teach em!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Import the car to Norway and then do whatever you like. Til then, reinstall the factory stuff.
Having the Cougar with handles in Norway with you is better than leaving it in Fife and having cool doors, imo.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
friggin Norwegians - tell them to go eat some nasty rotten fish and quit making stupid rules!:toung:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts