Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Yes you can. But if you get the wrong shifter you will have to cut and hack. if your using a 4 speed get a herst comp+ for a mustang or Cougar. I think herst also has a 3 speed shifter that works with no mods. Most 5 speeds work like it was ment to go in the stock hole. neal.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
badcatt, I belive (its been along time ago) that it depends on which trans you use. If memory serves wasnt there a difference in the Mustang/Cougar trans compared to say Torino/fullsize trans? I belive it was in the tailshaft and the shifter mounting positions? I am speaking top loader 4 spds. I have had several different ones in the early days of my stock car racing, but stuff like that was of little concern to me as it was no problem to hack the hole if needed. If the shifter handle didnt please, just torch it and bend it or cut and reweld it till it fit as you liked!!. mm

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Mark,
I don't know about the Fairlane 4 speeds But the full size cars would be a problem as they are a longer trans. I have had a few of that one. I had a 1966 Mercury Coliny park S/W with a factory 4 speed. It's in new eangland some were being restored now. I have only had 1 Cougar top loader and a Falcon T-10. the T-10 would have worked.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I know for sure the ones I had that I was talking about were the same overall length but had different shifter mount locations as I swaped the three 4 speeds and a 3 speed back and forth using the same drive shaft. Let me explain all the trans swaping, my Cougar used a Dana 60 rear end and there not very good for quick gear changes so we swapped trans back and forth to get final drive ratios for different tracks. I know, I know it dosent sound too swift, but things were different in the late 70's and I dont expect anyone who was not around stock cars back then to understand. I still think thats why my back is screwed up from laying on my back bench pressing them top loaders in and out!!! mm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts