Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 71 Mustang fastback today that needs a motor and trans, and am not seeing a hundred old Ford cars as good donors. Can I use a 2WD truck as a donor for engine and trans?

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Maybe. A 302 c4 could be an easy swap. Only problem I recall is the shift linkage on the transmition being back ward for floor shifted.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
A 429/469 c6 could be just about as easy. If you can find the correct frame mounts.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Trucks by design have truck cams.

We can only assume that you are thinking about Ford pickups with 302/351W engines? and with automatic transmissions?

Is the Mustang anything noteworthy? i.e. H or M code Mach 1? Even if it is an F code Mach 1, I would find a 351C-2V with FMX or C6 so that it maintains/increases the value for the future.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are right on the combo's, it was a 302 car, missing the engine/trans. I was thinking LOKAR for the shifter solution.
I haven't run the VIN for "MACH" but I ddoubt it ,with a 302/C4 combo to begin with....

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
The car is never gonna "know" where the engine and trans came from. Use what you can get that works.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You are right on the combo's, it was a 302 car, missing the engine/trans. I was thinking LOKAR for the shifter solution.
I haven't run the VIN for "MACH" but I ddoubt it ,with a 302/C4 combo to begin with....
For a 1971 the VIN will tell you if it is a Mach. If it is an 05 it is a Mach 1, an 02 is a Sportsroof.

As was stated the car is not going to know where the engine/trans came from. The only concern might be if the transmission is different for a truck versus a pony car (for example, tailshaft).

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You beat me to it, Dave. In C6's, there was a change in the tailshaft length for both cars and trucks. Cars went from the "long-tail" to the "short tail" around (I think) 1965; trucks did so in 1973. I found this out when I picked up a '68 T-Bird C6 (along with some 390 parts) to rebuild for my '72 F100. Got it all put in the truck, only to have to go searching for a new front half shaft (long-bed's of that era had a two-piece driveshaft and carrier bearing). Wasn't so bad, I found one -along with a better carrier bearing- out of a '75 long bed, and we were on the road. With Cougar's one-piece driveshaft, that might not be so easy.

Same problem with a C4 or FMX?????

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"A 429/469 c6 could be just about as easy. If you can find the correct frame mounts." I'm looking at these, too. That is the great thing about that fat azz body style they fit right in...
" The only concern might be if the transmission is different for a truck versus a pony car (for example, tailshaft)." this was another concern, but a custom drive shaft should only be a couple of hundred. the car cost 1200, I'd like to have it running for ~1000.00-1500.~ and sell for 3-4K. That way the next guy can make some money too.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I wised up, and bought an 84 5.0 liter from a 2wd pick up. No smoke, no motor noise, sounds good, and good looking trans fluid. Some new motor mounts, a drive shaft and dual exhaust, and it will be for sale. know anybody interested? Pics tomorrow sometime....

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have a 68 Cougar, 74 Bronco both with C4s and two 5.0Ls, Mustang GT and Mercury Capri one with a T5 the other with an AOD......got em all....ask any details and I can check.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts