Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i want to install a heli coil into my top worn out starter motor hole is it possible to install a heli coil into that worn out hall without tapping(threading) the hole.... i dont know how to tap never done it before and dont want to mess it up... i kinda firgured seeing as the hole is already there. if not who could i talk to most mechanics have never done it either

·
Registered
156 Posts
You have to tap the hole to insert the heli coil, as it threads in. The Honda dealer I used to work for repaired aluminum oil pans all the time with an insert. It cost the clients about one third of the cost of replacing the oil pan. You need to make sure you can get the tap at the correct angle to tap the hole.

·
Registered
980 Posts
In most cases...you will need to drill the hole prior to using a heli-coil tap. As I recall the starter holes are drilled thru to start with...? You also need the heli-coil inserter.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Heli-coils usually come as a kit, you get the correct sized drill bit, tap, heli coil and install tool.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'd just drill and retap it if you can get at it....there are plenty of drill and tap chart sizes: http://www.ehow.com/how_6183862_drill-tap-metal.html

You will have to enlarge the starter bolt hole a bit and be sure your new bolt isn't to long, if you don't have a flat bottom tap you will have to have a slighty shorter bolt since the pointy end of the tap won't allow a thread to the very bottom. Also be sure the head of the new bolt will clear the case before you commit - sometimes they are to big and rub against it or keep it from going in straight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts