Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got in my car the other day to do a little weekend driving... Went to start the car put the key in and it spun completely around... Then I saw little pins and springs all over the place when I pulled the ignition switch out...

Do I have to pull the steering wheel off to change the ignition switch on the column? I've changed them before when they are on the dash but never one on the column... If anyone can tell me what I need to do to change the ignition switch advised would be appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
928 Posts
The only reason to pull the wheel is if you need to check to see if there are any missing pices still in the column. I would recomend getting a matched ignition and door set.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
The actual switch is on top of the column, near the instrument cluster. You are dealing with the lock, which is separate from the switch. The switch is actuated by a rod from the lock mechanism. Best to replace the whole assembly along with the door locks.

Your best reference a on how all this goes together is the factory shop manual.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You are dealing with the lock, which is separate from the switch. The switch is actuated by a rod from the lock mechanism. Best to replace the whole assembly along with the door locks.

Your best reference a on how all this goes together is the factory shop manual.
If you don't want to go to through the hassle of pulling your door panels to change out the door locks (and want to save a little money), you can get a new Ign. lock assembly and install it then – because the key is double-sided and both sides are the same, take your old key (which I'm assuming was keyed the same as your door locks), and the key that came with your new ignition lock, to a competent key cutter in your area (Home Depot/Lowes/Locksmith)... have them cut a new key – one side your old key pattern and the other side the new key pattern. You can unlock your doors with the one side up and start your car with the other side up!

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you don't want to go to through the hassle of pulling your door panels to change out the door locks (and want to save a little money), you can get a new Ign. lock assembly and install it then – because the key is double-sided and both sides are the same, take your old key (which I'm assuming was keyed the same as your door locks), and the key that came with your new ignition lock, to a competent key cutter in your area (Home Depot/Lowes/Locksmith)... have them cut a new key – one side your old key pattern and the other side the new key pattern. You can unlock your doors with the one side up and start your car with the other side up!
This has got to be one of the coolest tips I've heard in a long time, thanks CoolFogMan!

·
Registered
67 Posts
This has got to be one of the coolest tips I've heard in a long time, thanks CoolFogMan!
I did this almost 6 years ago and haven't once mixed up which side of the key was the correct one to use. Sometimes the simplest solutions are staring us right in the face!:thinkuh:

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Better yet, just take your current key and a new lock to a locksmith and have them re-key the lock to match your key.

Also, the double-cut method works great when you have two Ford products that use the double-sided key. Cut one side for one car, the other for the second car. (I got $25 from Motor Trend back in 1969 for this tip).

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Better yet, just take your current key and a new lock to a locksmith and have them re-key the lock to match your key.
X2 This worked for me, and the old discolored 42 year old key is still part of the car

Jean

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, I appreicate all the advise and some good ideas... Someone posted that I wouldn't have to take the streering wheel off to get the Ign. lock out... Can someone give me any advise on how I get the Ign. lock out of the column? I'm looking for a little pin hole all around and under the steering column like the ones on the dash have... I don't see what I need to do to get the Ign. lock out...

·
Registered
928 Posts
On the bottom of the column on the key "flange" is a small slot approx 1/4 inch long, if you turn the lock cylinder to the accy position you should be able to use an awl or ice pick to push the "button" and then turn the cylinder back past accy and then pull the cylinder out.

It should only take a couple of minnutes - very quick and easy to do.

If you have trouble - send me a pm with your email and I'll send you some pictures.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the bottom of the column on the key "flange" is a small slot approx 1/4 inch long, if you turn the lock cylinder to the accy position you should be able to use an awl or ice pick to push the "button" and then turn the cylinder back past accy and then pull the cylinder out.

It should only take a couple of minnutes - very quick and easy to do.

If you have trouble - send me a pm with your email and I'll send you some pictures.

blackcat429cj

Thanks for the advise and pictures you emailed me!!!! The pics really helped a lot and since part of my Ign. lock cylinder was broke off and it wasn't one whole piece anymore... Once I pushed the pin and got the cylinder out there was still the very end piece of the cylinder broke off in the very bottom... So, I ended up having three total broken pieces not counting all the little pins and springs... I kept wondering why when I was trying to put the new Ign. lock in I couldn't push it all the way in... Thats when I thought there must be still another piece in there...

Thanks for all the advise from everyone else about getting matching keys or taking to a locksmith... All good info!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts