Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I pulled the valve covers off the Cougar the other day, just going to set the valve lash due to my solid lifters, then polish up the aluminum valve covers. I'm now telling this story on the back side of about $100 worth of valve springs and seals. Tough job, even tougher without the proper tools. I've got some free advice, put your pistons at TDC, do one cylinder at a time, follow the firing order, and put AIR in the cylinder too. I tried various things through the spark plug holes to hold the valves up, but I could'nt get anything to work. You need the piston at TDC to get the old keepers to pop out of their 7 deg. tapers, and the air is to hold the valve ALL THE WAY up to get them buggers (keepers)back in. I had a buddy's valve spring compressor as well, he's runs a mid 6 second alcohol funny car called "ground force", some of you may know his car, he won the UDRA points championship last year. So you know he had a cool valve spring compressor.

I've got a pair of spin-tech mufflers coming this week, if someone tells me how, I'll record the before(mufflers) and after and post it here.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts