Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't begun to fully investigate why my lights only open & close when I up my RPM's (naturally it's upping the vacuum) but I'm sure it's some sort of vacuum leak. The solenoid is an aftermarket rebuild one, as evidenced by the ground wire. But what I was wondering is since I have no reason to turn the lights on/off when the car isn't running, could the vacuum reservoir under the fender be eliminated? I noticed that the hose running from the carberator to the vacuum reservoir has a splice at the solenoid. Was this put in for just this reason? Naturally, my vacuum reservoir could be fine and this question is for nothing, but it may help someone who has this problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes you can eliminate the tank. On my 67 it was unplugged when I got it and the headlights worked just fine. When I pulled it apart we tested the tank and it held vacuum so I might hook it back up but I know the lights will work fine without it.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Actually at higher rpms you lose vacuum, which is partly why the tank is there to hold reserve vacuum. There is a check valve that often goes bad (WCCC sells a vette one to replace it with), but you want to confiorm all your hoses and connections are good first. Otherwise you could look at doing an electric conversion like the Probe motors - plenty of good posts on that conversion......just depends on how much effort you want to go to I guess.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Super easy fix by replace your vacuum hoses/lines. Go down to any parts store for the correct diameter hose. It took me 3 hours to replace all lines for my lights a year ago, and that solved all problems. You do not need the color specific lines unless you are going for an exact restoration.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I disconnected my reservoir tank and put the hose from the carb right into the solenoid and my light covers open and close without hesitation (right one closes before the left but that's normal from what I've seen). Now I know my problem is the reservoir or the hose running from the "splice" at the solenoid to the reservoir or the one running back. Covers don't move when trying to open and close by hand which tells me the vacuum canisters for each light are in good shape. One has a broken boot, but I'll attempt to fix that. Anyway, it's good to have a working light unit until I check further. THANKS everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts