Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's whats up. My 69 Boss cougar has been moving slowly (i have c-a-d-d "car Attention deficit disorder") and can't stay focused on one car. This car was a drag car all of its life and was rode hard and put up wet. I have it on the rotisserie and all sheet metal work is about 95 percent done. I got a call today from the organizer of the Old drag racers reunion and he wanted to know if id bring the car to there reunion this year and show it? That's about 4 months from now! I first said no way but I've been thinking it is possible. I have 90 percent of the parts to put it back together. the other reason i may try this is the original owner of the car "the guy the raced it from 1969 - 1980" is in bad health and i don't have much time left to reunite him and the car.
what do you think should i give it a shot? machine work is done on the motor, seats are recovered, steering wheel has been refinished, eyebrows and hood lip have been re anodized, I think i can have it painted within a month (i have my own paint booth)what do you think can i do it?

mike

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I am sure you can! No Doubt. Only you have to want to. If you can dedicate yourself to the project you can. I know if I want to do something and set my mind to it I will do it. Best thing can happen is someone I know or care about will tell me no you cant do that or that you don't know what you are doing. Guess what. Just cause I am going to prove them wrong and I WILL DO IT AND DO IT VERY WELL!! Go for it man and let that ole fellar drive it just once [email protected]

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Depends on if you have unlimitrd time until then to spend on the Cougar. I couldn't and wouldnot enjoy working on it with a rushed time line. You will find yourself skipping details during the restoration if you are rushed.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Depends on if you have unlimitrd time until then to spend on the Cougar. I couldn't and wouldnot enjoy working on it with a rushed time line. You will find yourself skipping details during the restoration if you are rushed.
I'm with Brian. While I always set myself a pre-determined deadline for my projects, I keep those deadlines within reason. Unless you have an army of guys who know what they're doing, I forsee cutting corners in the interest of saving time.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Its worth a shot. Just prepare yourself for the fact that **** happens and you may not make it. Take lots of pics and if it doesn't come together in time make a nice display for the pics and take them to show and have a good time !

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Where are you at in Florida. I am in Tallahassee, soon to be divorced, and I should be able to donate some time. Give me a shout.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the opinions. I know it's a short timeline and chances are i can't make the schedule. (Heck my boss throws schedules at me all the time i can't meet but it doe's get you moving). So maybe using that date to shoot at to at least have it painted and the bottom side done/rolling would be a way to set a short term goal and help me stay focused. Im just finishing up a 69 F100 and this Cougar is next inline anyway. It's very close to being ready to paint. thanks for the counceling. And CATNAPPIN i'm in Pensacola about 3 hr's from Tallahasee.

IMAG0054.jpg

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
:bong:A month! Boy IDK, I wouldn't rush it. You going through way to much pain staking work. There will be other reunions to attend....

LOVE THAT TRUCK BTW!!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Here's whats up. My 69 Boss cougar has been moving slowly (i have c-a-d-d "car Attention deficit disorder") and can't stay focused on one car. This car was a drag car all of its life and was rode hard and put up wet. I have it on the rotisserie and all sheet metal work is about 95 percent done. I got a call today from the organizer of the Old drag racers reunion and he wanted to know if id bring the car to there reunion this year and show it? That's about 4 months from now! I first said no way but I've been thinking it is possible. I have 90 percent of the parts to put it back together. the other reason i may try this is the original owner of the car "the guy the raced it from 1969 - 1980" is in bad health and i don't have much time left to reunite him and the car.
what do you think should i give it a shot? machine work is done on the motor, seats are recovered, steering wheel has been refinished, eyebrows and hood lip have been re anodized, I think i can have it painted within a month (i have my own paint booth)what do you think can i do it?

mike
4 months, its 90% done sheetmetal wise and almost ready for paint ... you have a decent list of things that ARE done waiting on paint to be finished to put it ... I think you can do it.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Brian is right on with his comments and I recently have not been enjoying a rushed time line myself!

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
proford how is coming along?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts