be able to change the plugs without lifting the engine out of the
bay<lol>.

ANY help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Marshall

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tri-Y is the way to go. I believe that any headers may hang low. If you want the performance of headers this is a draw back you have to live with.

I purchased my set from Johns Cougar in Michigan. I had the coated by Polymer Dynamics in Houston. They do a special coating to keep them from rusting. They can do different colors, but I did black.

Here is what I ordered:

Order PolyDyn: HS Flat Black, re:Karl Benton suggestion

Polymer Dynamics
4116 Siegel St.
Houston TX 77009

$200

·
Registered
406 Posts
Personally, I like Hookers. [pardon the pun :D] - Chad

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm running Flowtech Terminators on my 302 - very pleased with them except for the rust issue. We had to take them back out and strip/refinish them after about a year after installing them.

They do hang a tad low, but then again I'm used to the 'waddling' over speed bumps anyway. Wait a sec.. I mean, making the car do it.. I don't waddle.. usually...

·
Registered
162 Posts
i got the hooker competition headers on my 68 model with 302.nice sound(i dont run mufflers) they fit nicely and all the plugs are easy to get to:) :D

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i have a set of Flowtech full length headers that i bought at a swap meet foymy 69. they didnt fit in the chassis though ( they must have been ment for a 289 or 302 then, they would bolt up to the engine, but were too wide for the chassis) my car as a 351W which of course is wider than the 302. but otherwise they would hav fit fine. i am looking for a buyer for them, and if you are interested, ill be willing to part with them. they are the standard headers ( ie, non ceramic, not chrome, ect ) they are a bit scratched ( due to the attempted installation ) but otherwise unused. and no rust. i have hedmans on it now, they dont hang as low as i expected and as a matter of fact, when looking at the car head on, you cant even see them under it. ( strange eh?) i wanted to get shorties, but i got these first. then they didnt fit and i needed something fast, so i just got more full length ones. i like em.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You'd probably be well enough off by taking sixt9coug up on the offer. They're good headers.

BTW: sixt9coug: I'd bought the Flowtech shorties, mainly due to shortage of funds, but they'd screwed up when they boxed 'em and put the Terminators in there instead. Definitely a deal I couldn't pass up ;)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
LOL, why cant Summit screw up my order for Accel 8.8 wires and send me a Vortech T trim or something? SCORE!!!!!:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I still suggest, no matter whose headers you go for, to send them to Polymer to get coated. Karl has had a set coated on his Truck for 10 years and no rust, even in Houston. Mine don't show any signs yet, but I don't drive my car much.

klr

·
Registered
519 Posts
sixt9coug, I may want to take you up on those Flowtech headers but not till after the holidays. So if you still have them after the new year let's discuss the details. :)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Header coatings

I have just painted my good old cheapie headers with Eastwood's high temp stainless coating. Once that &%#^ factory paint burns off, I take the headers off again and blast them. Then repaint with the stainless paint. Even after years of sitting, they still look great.

I shot my race car's headers with that stuff and even though it has to sit outside on the trailer all winter, year after year, the headers never rusted. Heck, I'm even thinking of spraying all of my replacement exhaust systems on the daily drivers with the stuff. Should work wonders in the salt spray and slop in the winters here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
More questions

Not to drag this thread on, but do most headers require a power steering bracket modification to allow clearance for the power assist cylinder on vehicles with Power Steering? I have had one set form Hooker that did not and now the Tri-Y set that does.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have Headman's on my 67 Cougar, they don't hang low at all. Headman also make the Elite hedders which are already coated. All Headman hedders come with gaskets and hardware. I think they are a really good value and the performance in excellent. The Elite's are just as good as the Hooker super Comp's at about a $100 less. The best thing to do is talk with a tech at either Summitracing.com or jegs.com, they can get you fitted with the correct headers for your car. As stated above, headers can be trickey so it's best to talk to somebody who knows what their talking about. I have found swap meets are not a good option for buying things like this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have Headman's on my 67 Cougar, they don't hang low at all. Headman also make the Elite hedders which are already coated. All Headman hedders come with gaskets and hardware. I think they are a really good value and the performance in excellent. The Elite's are just as good as the Hooker super Comp's at about a $100 less. The best thing to do is talk with a tech at either Summitracing.com or jegs.com, they can get you fitted with the correct headers for your car. As stated above, headers can be trickey so it's best to talk to somebody who knows what their talking about. I have found swap meets are not a good option for buying things like this.:1poke:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
:angryfi: i went to a swap meet and got ripped. bastid

·
Registered
9 Posts
Swap meet headers

Read the post on the headers for the 351 W. I had the same problem. The FMX tranny cover sticks out too far for the headers to clear. They will work fine with C-4 & C-6 trannys or 289 & 302 engines but not the 351W.
Have a pair cheap, going to sell them at pomona Sunday!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts