Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the interior in my car is "clean," but it hasn't been thorooughly cleaned in years apparently. does anyone know of a leather and vinyl cleaner that will get into the grain and lift out the more stubborn spots?

i'm thinking of getting new door panels and i know they will make the rest look dingy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
yep i sure can

Try resolve or spray 9; also mequires makes some very good leather cleaner.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
one word.. SIMPLE wait, theres another word GREEN. it works really good for me. but if you dont like the smell of a rainy pine forest on a mid summers afternoon in lovely Northern Oregon, dont use it cuz the car will smell like that for weeks. nevermind how i know that, seeing as the farthest ive been out of SoCal is Vegas...

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I have always used Lexol leather cleaner and then followed with Lexol conditioner. Has made my leather last forever. Lexol has been around the leather industry for more than 100 years and knows how to treat leather. You can find it at any auto parts store or tack shop for horses.

·
Contributing Member
5,867 Posts
Maguires and Mothers have good leather cleaner and conditioners - you need both. Don't use anything other than leather cleaner on leather surfaces as it will cause them to crack. Leather soap from a saddlery isn't too bad either

Never use armorall or similar silicon based protectorant as it will remove dye and cause them to crack - my drive cars leather is a real mess because the detailer used armorall on the leather only once

Black leather is a real dog to clean if it has ingrained dirt

Any soft detergent will do on vinyl surfaces - eg simple green. Use a nail brush if the dirt is ingrained.

·
Registered
145 Posts
there is a product called Lexol that is exclusively used by mercedes for all of it's leather. there is a cleaner & a seperate conditioner. works beautifully.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW! thanks!

those are all good suggestions. i might start with the cheapest solution (probably resolve for the vinyl) and work my way up pricewise.

the scent of simple green might be a good thing, sixt9, because the previous owner put moth balls in the heater to keep the mice out. i think i got them all out, but the smell is still there after two and a half months. ANY other smell would be an improvement.

leon, my interior is white. i guess i should have mentioned that. that's why the "dingy" look would be a real problem.

thanks again for the great responses, guys! now, on to my next question (back on the main board...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts