Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about the carrier housing compatibility. It seems like it would work if but I know some differential guru will know better. please elaborate!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are most ford explorers posi 8.8? The reason I'm asking is because I want the 5 bolt axles and housing from an explorer, and the 87 mustang I took the posi from is 4 bolt axles.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Yeah, 8.8 is common in Explorers. If that's what you've got, the Mustang limited-slip carrier will work, provided the axle spline count matches up.
Just a word of friendly advice, though. The Mustang 8.8 Traction-Locs are pretty marginal. They don't provide a a good positive lock-up even when new, and the clutches wear quickly.
The reason why there's such a huge aftermarket of limited-slip units for Mustangs is the factory ones are so poor.
There are replacement clutches, springs, etc. for the stock units which help some. If you're on a shoestring budget, a fresh Mustang limited-slip unit is better than nothing, and certainly "good enough" for a weekend-cruiser. But in the long run, if you're going to the trouble and expense of changing carriers anyway, (and especially if you're going to be using sticky tires and/or throwing any serious horsepower at the differential) you might want to consider stepping up to a good aftermarket unit while you're at it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that sounds like some sound advice. I know that 87 wasn't a hot year for mustangs mechanically either. I have a 9 inch in the yard waiting for a posi, I much rather save my money for that and put together right. I was just looking for a fun alternative until next summer....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts