Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was getting ready to remove the double roller gear off the camshaft and I pulled it forward I noticed it came forward about 0.125" before the cam even hit the back of the thrust plate. Clearance is supposed to be a lot less. Can't figure out the issue since I eliminated the that larger round spacer way back when the old nylon gear was replaced. That leaves me with the thrust plate, the gear, the fuel pump eccentric, the thick washer and the bolt. Now I am wondering about the thrice driven cam coming out. Will check the new cam this weekend and if I have that much play again I would be puzzled as to what is up.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Huh? Good question - what does the spec call for on end play? .125 does sound like a bunch - but I do recall there being a fair amount if memory serves...? In the bigger picture - with a double roller chain and good tension - I'd be hard pressed to believe the cam would walk anyways - plus the dizzy gear holding it in place....although you don't want to cause undo wear on it.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked on factory clearance and it is 0.010". So my 0.125 is way over and could cause problems with cam wear to name one. Haven't gotten my new one yet to put in and check clearance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts