1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
OK....At a glance I thought that ALL E cats had the black camera case instrument panel coverings. Now this one (from the Eliminators for sale section) only has the XR7 wood grain? WTF?

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/mercury/cougar/1355895.html?refer=rss

Is there an explanation? Is this not as unusual as I thought?
In the Hemmings ad, Kurt has the following statement, "The nephew told me the dealer installed a wood grain dash, ram air midplate and that the car looks exactly as it was delivered to the original owner."

At this point in time, there are no known and documented factory produced Eliminators with a camera case delete.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Normally the boss 302 would have been equipped with 8K tach, evidently that also was deleted in favor of the woodgrain, the opening in the hood isn't concourse, it's not the right shape.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I also noticed a lot of overspray in places where I have never seen it before and no reason for it to be there, but all and all, nice car.

·
11,000 Posts
At $110K it should be a perfect example with no excuses needed. It isn't. The value of the car is hurt by having the hole hacked in the hood and the wrong dash and wrong tach. Even if those items were corrected it still is overpriced at $110K in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I am working on a 70 Boss cat that is a special order color and it has the wood grain dash pieces. Of course no way to tell if this is orig or it has been changed, but interesting that this is another one. It does have correct tach.....

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
At $110K it should be a perfect example with no excuses needed. It isn't. The value of the car is hurt by having the hole hacked in the hood and the wrong dash and wrong tach. Even if those items were corrected it still is overpriced at $110K in my opinion.
Royce,

Sorry to disagree with you, but just one more of the reasons that Cougars do not attain some of the high dollar amounts of other cars. Owners continue to talk down other cars that they have no desire to own themselves. Even though I have absolutely no desire to own a 68 427 GTE, I refuse to state that someone's car is overpriced. A car is worth what a willing seller and buyer agree it is worth. This is reported to be a low mile, mostly original paint, Boss 302, Super Drag Pak equipped Eliminator. As far as the tach, there is an article from September of 1969 with a 1970 Boss 302 Eliminator with a 6K tach in the period photograph, the article states that the tach limit was reached before the engine stopped climbing in revolutions. Assembly line mistakes with tachs are well known, especially when you consider that out of all 1970 Cougars equipped with a tach (22,831) only 469 of them should have an 8K (~2%). The incorrect dash is an easy fix, and if you installed a correct hood blanket as this car should have the "hole hacked" in the hood is hidden.

Personnally I don't think that Kurt is far off of the mark in his asking price, especially as a negotiation starting point.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
For that kind of money, you could buy John Benoits Competition Blue 428 Eliminator with less than 5 miles on a near perfect concours restoration.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Hrm... no rear spoiler either. But I guess that would be another haggling point, unless there is "spoiler delete" paperwork. Marti report pictured doesn't mention it (unless I missed it).

Edit: nevermind, saw his ad says spoiler delete.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
For that kind of money, you could buy John Benoits Competition Blue 428 Eliminator with less than 5 miles on a near perfect concours restoration.
What do you mean "near perfect"? LOL

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
LOL! I thought he spotted a spec of dust or a fingerprint smudge somewhere in one of your pics :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Think its a rear Cougar anyway you look at it. If you look at the Marti Report SAYS 1 of those had the rear spoiler deleted 5 was ordered with the Super drag pack. I have never seen that before on a Cougar very Cool deleted lol

·
Registered
936 Posts
Perfect camera case pieces are about as impossible to find in excellent condition as any Eliminator part. It may be true that the dealer did a bunch of things to this car and have documentation to prove it. I have dated pics of my 69 SCJ the day it was purchased showing dealer add ons including a spoiler/ram air and front air dam. Also a letter from the dealer on their letterhead confirming he added those options.

A Drag Pak Boss 302 Eliminator is a super rare and super cool Cougar. I'm not selling the car, but for 100 large + the seller might consider providing some documentation on the dealer changes or alternatively provide the camera case pieces. 6K tachs are well documented as are spoiler deletes.

I have not seen the car personally, just the ad and pictures. Its beautiful, and I hope it follows the recent trend of rare Cougars getting their due.

BTW- I gotta say it. Those fasteners in the horns are facing the wrong direction and for 100K put an Autolite script battery in! There. I said it. I can relax now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts