Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Cougar out for a spin to check out the new radiator, worked great. Started heading for home and the car died... There was a strong smell of gasoline and when I opened the hood there was gas all over the manifold. I sopped up the gas and tried to turn it over, gas was flowing out of the vent hole toward the front of the carb ( Holley 600, elec choke, vac secondaries). don't know if anyone has had gas shoot up out of their carb??? Looking for any suggestions of where to start.
Thanks
Charlie

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Stuck (or gas-logged) float. If brass float, corrosion could have eaten a hole in the float, causing it to sink, or if phenolic float, the 'modern' gas blends tend to eat them, causing them to get 'heavy' and sink. I've seen both problems!

Or it could be as simple as dirt in the needle/seat.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
One of the main reasons I switched to an Edelbrock carb several years ago. No leaks, no stuck floats, no choke problems. Just get in, prime, turn key. Starts quickly every time.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beginning to think that maybe it is time to replace this carb... Started life as a refurb, I am at least the 3rd owner and it was just rebuilt about 18 months ago. I like the eletric choke, see those are readily available. Looks like Holley is getting away from the adjustable float bowls, don"t know why, there are still some with adjustable floats but you now have to pay extra for it. Maybe an Edlebrock is where I should look? getting tired of fixing this old Holley. Current is a 600cfm, if you use Holley CFM tool it says I should be running something a lot smaller on the 302. I'll check out the floats in the morning, if things are really ugly, I may just go with a new piece. Any suggestions for CFM and Holley or Edlebrock are welcome. Now that the rain has stopped, so has the car : (

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Charlie - what mod's (if any) does your car have? 600 cfm will cover most moderately modified v8's.....over carbing is is more harmful to performance than you might believe. Milo's assessment is the most likely scenario. Brand doesn't matter - they all give up the ghost after years of abuse and molestation. Pull it apart and decide if you want to salvage it or not. total rebuild kits are getting pricey but so are new carbs - so go with the best fit for your situation.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have changed out the heads with Aluminum Flo-Tek Heads, Edlebrock Performer 289 Intake, Roller Rockers, Patriot Tri-Y Headers, Flow-Master 2 1/2 inch exhaust, dual with cross-over, High flow water pump, new Aluminum Radiator, and a step-up on the cam. I have also installed a Professional Products Distributor.There is also a new power booster and master cylinder with disc brakes up front. Future includes changing out the highway gears for a set of 325's.
I put in a modern A.C. setup under the hood from Classic Auto Air, not a performance part but a better performer than the stock stuff.
I think this is the majority of the changes, may have missed something but this is the bulk of the changes that have been made by me over the last couple of years.
Hope this is helpfull.
Charlie

·
Registered
913 Posts
A 600 cfm should do nicely, if the plugs shows to rich, you can always jet down a couple of sizes..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yep, I run a 600 CFM Edelbrock on my 351C with a mid cam and 2v heads and it runs great after she warms up. My engine is a cold starter for sure. That sucks you ended up on a flatbed sir.

The 600 CFM Edelbrock 1407 is the electric choke one and I think they run $250-300 new. I run a 1405 Manual choke version and have used them on at least 3 different vehicles over the years. They aren't the best carbs but I have had good luck with them.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the float bowl levels on both bowls today, both were normal. Wasn't expecting that... I crossed my fingers and turned the key... It started right up and ran for about 15 seconds before the gas fountain was back. So much for the carburator fairy coming and fixing it while I slept. Tomorrow carb comes off and disassembled, hopefully it will be obvious. Still leaning toward a new one, holley or edlebrock, edlebrock or holley, the internal battle continues... Maybe best to fix for now, get more driving in before winter and replace carb during down time... Guess we will see when it is opened up.
Charlie

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Only problem with the Edelbrock carb is setting up the throttle linkage due to the width of the carb, and the fact that the fuel inlet is at the back on the passenger side.

I set my throttle linkage up with a 71-73 throttle pedal/cable and a junkyard bracket.

I created my own fuel line with A/N fittings and braided hose.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
There is really only one thing that can allow this to happen and that is for the gas to get past the needle and seat, if the floats are intact and working. The rubber o ring on the needles gets eaten by the alcohol in the gas. Many times I can just replace this o ting and be good for another year.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I checked the float bowl levels on both bowls today, both were normal. Wasn't expecting that... I crossed my fingers and turned the key... It started right up and ran for about 15 seconds before the gas fountain was back. So much for the carburator fairy coming and fixing it while I slept. ...
Charlie
Carb fuel level must be checked with the engine running since gas level will drop once key is turned off - gas flows through jets to emulsifier tubes and out the fuel boosters in the venturi... That's why fuel level is important when setting up carb and tuning!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
excessive fuel presure can also cause float level issues---thats why setting level when its running is the correct method----it accounts for pres also

1 - 13 of 13 Posts