Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy I bought my Cougar from said the hide-a-ways worked when he fist got it, but after he rebuilt the motor and put it back in, they didn't. He thought he hooked up the vacuum wrong. However at a car show the other day, a guy with a '68 told me that if you put a hotter cam then it doesn't build up enough vacuum to work.

Is there any truth to this?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Not only will you have low manifold vacuum affecting the headlight doors, but power brakes as well!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luckily, I don't have power breaks. Is there anything I can do to boost vacuum without changing the cam?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! Thanks!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
There is some vac loss depending on the cam profile but you can certainly do some checking around. First question is what vac is it pulling? That nees to be determined -- I wouldn't throw $300 at a noisy as hell vac pump just yet. If you know that your system is good with no leaks and you are still pulling 11+ hg of vac, I'd just get a one way valve vac storage can to assist at storing some extra vacuum.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEGS-Performance-Products-63010-Vacuum-Reserve-Canister-/200722009868

1 - 6 of 6 Posts