Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come to the conclusion that I have to call "The Swamper" done for the year. The swamper started in June as a 69 Emiminator with all of the interior stripped out, all body pannels off and some realy messed up by previous owner (doing his own body work). It wouldn't start. I paid $3,500.

I now have it all together sans AM/FM radio. Untold hours of labor and Total into it at $11,000. It is now an eye catcher and runs great. I have to thank this forum for alot of help in how to find things and how to trouble shoot a mirad of problems.

How are your projects going?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Glad to hear you're moving along so quickly!! It's an expensive hobby eh? My motor alone will have over $12k into by the time I'm done with it...Sigh...

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
waiting on my boy boy to move out so i can get topless cat into the garage and start...... Missed it by this [ ] much. oh ive waited this long a few more months wont kill me.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
This is a shot of his car at Yakama earlier this month. Looking good!
P.S. thats my XR7 in the back ground.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hows my project going? It isnt yet!LOL But hopefully in the near future. Still looking for the RIGHT car to start with and have been beating the bushes pretty good lately. Going to look at another one this weekend.

What color is that Eliminator? Calypso Coral?? Anyway I really like it. mm

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
See...That's Purrrrrrrrrrrrrdy... :)

I'm getting ready to slap a eliminator scoop on my XR7... That's about as much ambition as I've got until I get the bottom end of my clevor squared away.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
well im looking for leaf springs for my 69 driver and beyond that i dont really plan anything else for it except finally fixing the oil leak that its had since i bought it almost 3 years ago. im also looking for a decent project 69 to start with as a street strip car that i want to have around. anyone know of an OK running relatively rust free 69 standard for like $1000? i know they are out there. and im in Cali.... one will be found.

·
Registered
18 Posts
project

Well im still a newbee to this hobbie so im taking things real slow ive had my coug for about 4 months and all ive done so far is new brakes all the way around. im starting to sand it down and primer it so hopefully by winter time or alittle there after ill have new paint on it. but right now thats all ive done still need to go through the eng and get that all squared away but that wont be untill next summer.

Mike
1967 cougar

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Well don't hate me but you are not going to believe the project I'm doing right now. Picture this, you buy your wife a mustang that happens to be a 6 cyl and you end up with a 68 cougar that your going to get rid of. Well the stang now sports a 9" with a 3:73 posi and the cat is a 4lug in the rear. Of course you can't have a 3:73 posi without a v8... I think you get the picture. Anybody want to buy a 6 cyl cat?
John
wvcat

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have just completed sandblasting the entire engine compartment and under chassis down to bare metal. What a royal pain in the a$$. I'm just begining to assemble everything. It seems most of the money that I put aside for the whole project ended up all in the motor. How did that happen? lol. It all started out just taking a set of aussie heads into the machine shop for a simple valve job, $285.00 and ended up well over 15 times that to get it back. I had a couple scores in one cylinder that required the block to be bored. Well since the whole motor was already there they might as well really do it up. Should really scream.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Project

Actually got some good news on mine yesterday. The roof didn't need replacing. The A pillars weren't that bad and the body shop is fabricating new drip rails for it. The body will be done by the first of November. The engine has the AOD bolted up and ready to drop in. I have all of the parts for the swap. Got the third member built with the 3.55's. Give me a couple of weeks to square away the interior and she'll be on the road mid November. This is good since I'll need it to run to get me to and from the second job I'll have to work for a little while due to going over budget on it. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The $$$ is what finally got to me on "The Swamper". I'm still tindering but not spending anymore this year.

The rear suspension needs to be redone and more original parts to find. I set $10,000 as my limit but figured out this last weedend that I blew by that.

·
Registered
648 Posts
My 'project' is moving along quite nicely. 68 KAT suffered a setback with my 'brakes go bye bye' posting but she is whole again. Living in the salt belt, I wanted to find a solid bodied big block car. And I did. I might have even overpaid for it but to me it was worth it! All told, I have nearly 10k in 68 KAT.

This winter I am going to rebuild the C6, power steering and suspension. Going to re-arch the rear leafs and recover the front seats. I also have to sort out the carburtetion problems and the vacuum issues.

Here's how she looks...

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
My cat should be out the bodyshop by next week, finally, she's been in since July, only cos' I could'nt make up my mind over the colour, changed it from avus blue to a purple/blue micro pearl the day before he was supposed to start spraying, one of these days we are going to have an avus blue ranchero lol. At least she has been undercover for the past couple of months, still have to get some sort of cover up at home for her, we have 11 cars, and she does'nt fit in the garage. As soon as she is home we are going to start on the interior, tear in the drivers seat, knobs missing, covers for speakers missing, small little things like that, then maybe next year put a 4V in [351] and put the 2V in the ranchero, otherwise there is not much else we can do to the engine, she's got just about everything she needs, 4br H, dual exh. etc. We'll just drive her around and show folks here what a real car should sound like, then save up to buy new tyres!:D

·
Registered
448 Posts
cat project

Lets see....
Got the dual quad setup and progressive linkage last weekend. I finally recieved the low riser FE 2x4 manifold this week. I now have the block, crank, intake, carbs, trans, radiator, various mounts and brackets, cam and lifters for building a 416 ci pavement smoker for my 69 XR7 convertble. I hope to build and install the engine over the winter and then possibly repaint in the spring for the CCOA nationals here in New Jersey next spring. Is anyone else planning on coming to Atlantic City for the national show in June?
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible waiting for a heart transplant!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts