Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is one for Sherlock Holmes.
my 67 DGS was a one owner car that originally bought in Escondido, California, therefore it has the smog pump, etc...
Do these smog pumps make the engine run hotter?
Where do you get the replacement filter that supposedly goes in the canister mounted on the pump? Currently there is no filter in there, but at a show I saw where someone had what looked like a small air filter in the canister.

The fan is different than one Ive seen before as well. There is approx 2" spacer between the pulley drive and the fan itself, and the fan if not original looks to be a vintage aluminum flex fan with 5 blades. Did Ford ever use something like this as early as '67? I looked quickly and did not see a FORD stamping or what looked like a FORD part number sequence on it. I'll look closer tonite when I clean and repaint it. Could it have been part of a heavy duty cooling dealer thing because of it being a southern California car? Oddly the car doesnt have A/C but has a 3 core radiator as well.
OR......
In 1970 the car was shipped to Honalulu, Hawaii where it stayed til the owner retired and moved to Tennessee in 1995. Could the 3 core radiator and flex fan have been added in Hawaii? I got a huge folder of bills and receipts for the car that include all kinds of small items like the shipping to and from Hawaii, bill of sale, payment coupon book, window sticker, every oil change, etc.... and there is nothing there to indicate that the radiator or fan were swapped out.

Anyone answer this? I'll take a picture of the fan with my digital camera since I dont think you can see it very well in the engine pictures I have on here.

David

·
Registered
433 Posts
Didn't the K code (hi-po) 289's use a 5 blade fan?

·
11,000 Posts
Fans

Ford did not use any flex fans until the 1969 model year.

Your 67 Cougar should have a clutch fan if equipped with extra cooling package or air conditioning. The clutch fan is a seven blade unit. There was a five blade fixed pitch fan otherwise.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went back through the receipts and there seems to be a history of this car running hot. In 1989 I did find a receipt for the installation of a 5 blade heavy duty fan. But I still question that this smog pump pumping air into the exhaust mainfold might be making it run hotter. Maybe an air filter in this smog pump is the answer? now that I think back I think I rember taking out an old T-shirt that someone stuck in there. Could I have made the running warm thing resurface by taking this t-shirt out?
Like I said earlier, it doesnt heat up til it gets on the interstate and you have to be going 65/70 mph for about an hour for it to begin to climb.
I just put a timing chain on it, do you think something as simple as a new timing chain could rectify this?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hm,

well, living in CA and having a 67 289, all my smog parts are removed. As for running hot on the freeway, mine did that when I got it. I backflushed the radiatior about a bazillion times and then the block a few times. I installed a Gano filter on the upper radiator hose and it's not overheated since.

I think MU, Larry's and CaMustang have Gano filters.

In Ca, Larry's is cheapest

Robert

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gonna back flush the block since there seems to be instances of where this mechanic loved BARRS LEAK stuff. The timing cover was covered with this stuff where the water pump sat. I have a new 3 core radiator I installed so the radiator is not the problem either. Now, do I run it with or without a thermostat? Ive heard and it makes sense to keep a thermostat installed even if its a 160 degree one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts